Soft corals under blue light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would soft corals do ok under 80% blue t5 lights. I love how it brings out the colors in them and like to keep it that way. But will this inhibit their growth? Doesn't actinic penetrate the water deeper? Any thoughts?

The actinic's are part of the blue/purple light spectrum, which does hit deep water. Has for corals I'm still learning, but I do know that most corals need more than just the blue/purple spectrum. I would still run some 10,000k T5's as well. Also most soft corals can, and will thrive in nutrient-rich waters with less intense light. And another note, if you don't have a lot of coralline algae it will bloom big time under darker lighting (eg: 80% actinic).

Stay Salty,

i would say it depends on the intensity of said lighting, and the depth of the water it has to penetrate, but yes, it's possible. no, actinic light does not penetrate the water deeper.

When light passes through water, different wave lengths (hence different colors) are filtered out at different depths. Blue and violet penetrate to a greater depth than red or orange light. Even in clear water red and orange light only hit about 16 feet, yellow light around 33 feet and green light hits about 50 feet. That leaves only blue and violet pass the 50 foot mark. That's why water looks bluer the deeper you go down.

The white spectrum (6500k-20,000k).
Actinic emit a narrow spectrum of blue/purple and a small amount of UV. Actinic's are not necessarily need if you use a high color temperature like 20,000k halide lamps for the fact that they produce the blueish light need for some photosynthesis.

actually, all the lamps we use in this hobby are full spectrum. they all have blue light in them. all spectrums are reaching the bottom of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom