Softshell Turtle Died Very Quickly, Looking For an Answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a softshell turtle and place him in my aquarium - 300 gallon 10x2x2.

The tank is filled with central american chiclids - flowerhorns, texans, dempseys, jaguars, red devils, etc.

I put the turtle in there while his new tank was being set up. He was in there 25 minutes tops, I came back in there to get him for the new tank and he was at the bottom of the tank dead.

I picked him up and saw no visible bite/attack marks. I don't think anyone bothered him.

Could he have been sick? could it have been the warm temperature of the tank? When I bought him, the pet store was more concerned with him tearing my tank apart, but he was dead in 25 minutes or less.

I bought a softshell turtle and place him in my aquarium - 300 gallon 10x2x2. The tank is filled with central american chiclids - flowerhorns, texans, dempseys, jaguars, red devils, etc. I put the turtle in there while his new tank was being set up. He was in there 25 minutes tops, I came back in there to get him for the new tank and he was at the bottom of the tank dead. I picked him up and saw no visible bite/attack marks. I don't think anyone bothered him. Could he have been sick? could it have been the warm temperature of the tank? When I bought him, the pet store was more concerned with him tearing my tank apart, but he was dead in 25 minutes or less.

Hum maybe supthing in the water that's ok for fish was vary harmful....or the turtle might have been stick to start with. That's vary strang

Ask the petstore to that's really odd... Turtle soft or not are hardy for the most part

Yeah that makes no sense. My first guess was one of your SA's got to him but if there is no visible damage the it sounds like a SEVERE water quality issue. Then again if it was the water you would have seen some fish casualties before the turtle. Sounds like a sick turtle to me to

Was there a place provided to get out of the water?

Well I'm quite sure the turtle would not have drownd in aprox 25min. But ya

Well I'm quite sure the turtle would not have drownd in aprox 25min. But ya

HA! Certainly not. I would go right back to the store with it, I'm very sorry that's awful. I'm a turtle lover, had my RES for almost 7 years so far.

I brought the turtle back and got a new one. I placed him in my outside pond until I figure something out. That pond is decent size, filled with a lot of koi and two red ear sliders and they everyone appears to be getting along well for the moment. Softshell is doing well so far.

The store was shocked it died so quick and gave me a new one even though I didn't even ask for one.

All of the fish in that tank are in good shape, water I believe is in good shape. I have the tank serviced once a month. I thought about the temperature. The tank is pretty warm, close to 80 but it still wouldn't have happened that quickly.

I brought the turtle back and got a new one. I placed him in my outside pond until I figure something out. That pond is decent size, filled with a lot of koi and two red ear sliders and they everyone appears to be getting along well for the moment. Softshell is doing well so far.

The store was shocked it died so quick and gave me a new one even though I didn't even ask for one.

All of the fish in that tank are in good shape, water I believe is in good shape. I have the tank serviced once a month. I thought about the temperature. The tank is pretty warm, close to 80 but it still wouldn't have happened that quickly.

Just to avoid any future issues with your new friend, soft shells are very prone to injury as a result of "rough housing" which I fear your RES may inhibit. I have one myself as I've stated. Although they are not aggressive, I'd hate a few bumps from your RES to be the demise of your new friend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom