soil for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I set the tank up today. It is currently running getting up to temp. I put about 1.5-2" of dirt covered by 1-1.25" of sand. I put a piece of malaysia driftwood in that has been soaking for 3 weeks and one clump of dwarf hairgrass. Not been doing well in my other tank. I ve had luck with all my other plants except the hairgrass. The tank is a little hazzy but not bad. Filled slowing so I didnt bore a whole in the sand and kick up mud. The filter has been seasoning in my other tank for about a week. I did a water change in my other tank today and put about 2.5 gallons of that water in this new 10 gallon. The rest was fresh water. Im gonna get some plants this week and then next week maybe get 6 rummynose tetras. A few weeks later if all goes well I will do the glass shrimp.

I got some dwarf hairgrass yesterday and pulled apart the clump into as small pieces as I could get without tearing the roots off. Did judiciously use the scissors to assist. What I've seen done is you take tweezers (longer the better), hold plant bits just above roots, and push down into your substrate. Recommended planting pattern was #5 dice. Saw before and after pics, and the grass should fill itself in, so I am hopeful. :angel:

Just an idea -- could be a reason the stuff didnt do well before, don't know but you get more bang for the buck this way, too.

Here's my Hairgrass with S. repens. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/98269-albums14273-picture68279.jpg

Back
Top Bottom