Solenoid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsAquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to step into the co2 world, and I am thinking it would be cheaper to piece together these kits.

I do want a solenoid because I would like to set the co2 up on a timer. But my question is, are any solenoids better than another?

Do you recommend a solenoid/regulator combo? Or can I buy a solenoid separate and add it to my system?

I found these solenoids for super cheap, and was wondering if you could give me info about which one you'd recommend, if any at all?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431457533333.jpg
    1431457533333.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 54
Myself and others have had great success with the Aquatek regulator and it has a solenoid on it. It's a bit touchy with flow but you will get used to it. Never had problems.

Caleb

Someone in my area has a green leaf atomic v3 co2 kit for sale. I might jump on it. Know anything about it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought a solenoid and then opted not to use it.

The reason is that, between day and night cycles, an aquarium will only shift about .3 pH.

I've read that the rule of thumb is to set the flow such that, if the valve were to fail/jam in the open position, the livestock would not be harmed.

I assume that plant-only tanks are the real beneficiaries of solenoid valves by way of allowing you to pump co2 levels WAY up during the day and off at night to save gas, rather than livestock.

If you do go with a valve, be aware that some regulators may have the needle valve permanently glued to the regulator.

I bought a Tunze regulator without a solenoid because I knew I could get the valve separately for way less and then found out they'd used weld-on.

In my case, I decided not to buy adapters and just set the flow rate at a safe level and leave it.

I have been using a clippard solenoid on my rig for over 6 years now without any issue.

As a side note, those solenoids you listed are 12v DC so you will need to have it inverted to AC in order to plug into a wall outlet unless you are going to use some type of regulator that controls with 12v DC.

Back
Top Bottom