Solitary fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benandjon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Am looking for suggestions. Basically have bought a new larger tank that is cycling at the moment, which will house my schools of tetra.... I want to get another 1 (or 2) fish to join them. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to which fish are generally solitary but will love in a community tank?

Cheers

Hello :)

Neon and black neon, 110 litre... Not sure what that is in gallons though?

Benandjon said:
Hello :)

Neon and black neon, 110 litre... Not sure what that is in gallons though?

Litres is cool! That's what I use! Its 29g btw.
Ok, you could try a gourami or a single ram or a pair. Cories, kuhli loaches or a bristlenose.

FYI, Corys are schoolers and should not be kept solitary. For some reason, at least in my area, it is hard to find more than a few of any one kind at any particular LFS though. Sad.

There are some types of solitary loaches, but I don't have particular types that are also community suitable at my fingertips. The ones I can think of at the top of my head are kind of cranky or flat out mean :)

Rams or apistos work solitary or in pairs as well. With just tetras, you can look at a betta as well (but be prepared in case he turns out to be a brat if you go that way :) ). Bristlenose pleco.

Went with a pair of Rams :)

Attachments

• image-13076974.jpg
    image-13076974.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3656961630.jpg
    image-3656961630.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3505108510.jpg
    image-3505108510.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 116
Nice fish. They wouldn't happen to be in the cycling tank would they? I ask because they don't do well with poor or unstable water conditions, which a cycling tank is chock full of. I don't want you to have to deal with losing them so you may want to return them, or move them to an established tank, until the tank has finished cycling. JMO.

blert said:
Nice fish. They wouldn't happen to be in the cycling tank would they? I ask because they don't do well with poor or unstable water conditions, which a cycling tank is chock full of. I don't want you to have to deal with losing them so you may want to return them, or move them to an established tank, until the tank has finished cycling. JMO.

That's a really nice sentiment, thank you. But no, they're in my other tank for the next few weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom