Some advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflykisses

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When adding chemicals like cycle and aqua can you add them straight to the tank or should you add them to the water that you are gonig to do a partial water change with and do it that way?

Assuming you don't have a sump, adding to PWC water is a good idea to get it dilluted before hitting the main tank.

Sorry what is a sump? How long do I have to treat the water before I put it into the tank then? I just want to make sure I know what Im doing before we put fish in there

weve got a 80l tank and we are going to put tropical fish in it

I think you need to wait a little bit longer before getting any fish or other aquatic animals because it seems that you have not done enough research about them (no it doesn't seem, it is apparent). Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just saying if you dont know what a sump is then you haven't read enough. Spending more time reading/researching will help save you from lots of problems down the road, like fish dying.

Btw products like Cycle are IMO useless/unnecessary and I'm sure many people here will agree with me about that.

This is a good place to start reading...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

Specifically read the parts about cycling your tank. Cycling is not about treating the water with something, but really is about building up a population of beneficial bacteria in your rock and sand, or whatever biological filter you have (wet/dry system, cannister filter system, etc.) This bacteria will convert your fish waste (ammonia) into harmless compounds that are not toxic to your fish and can be removed through normal water changes.

Hats off to asking questions before putting stuff in the tank. And welcome to the board!

I agree! Spend some time reading more about setting up a SW tank. The articles link provided above is a great place to start. Ask lots of questions and don't rush into things!

Back
Top Bottom