Some final questions before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke EF

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I am almost ready for fish, but I wanted to check a few things over before I start buying. First things first, I had asked a couple of questions in another thread that were never answered. Before we get to those, here is my set up, and stocking plans

Aqueon 46 Gallon Bow Front
Aqueon glass lid, and standard light
Aqueon 55/75 filter (says good for 90 gallon)
Aqueon Pro 200 watt heater
Rena 400 air pump with two 10" bubble wands on the sides

I am using sand as my substraight and fake plants with a piece of driftwood. I fishless cycled the tank, and it is all ready to go.

My stocking plans WERE this

AquStockImage.php

More on that later, but for now on to my main questions

Fist, after a LOT of reading on here I have decided to add a couple of things. I would like to add a second filter, and a second heater. First things first, the filter which I want to add for more filtration (obviously), more arreation, and if one filter dies I would have SOMETHING till I can get it fixed/replaced. My question is which filter should I add as a second? I currently have an Aqueon 55/75 and I don't think I really need a second one of those. I was looking at possibly the Aqueon 50 instead which will use the same filter cartridge as my current filter, so that should make it easier.

Next up is the heater. I want to add it for a lot of the same reasons as the second filter, more even heat, and a backup if something happens. I currently have an Aqueon Pro 200 now, and I think I want a second one of those. From what I have found the 200w is more or less just enough for my tank. That seems pretty accurate since it seems that the heater is on quite a bit.

What does everyone think about my plan? Is the 50 a good second filter or overkill? Is the 200w heater good, or overkill (I don't think you will change my mind on this though).

Now I am also thinking of THIS for a stocking plan now,

AquStockImage.php

We were at the LFS today, and the wife really liked the Diamond Tetras. I think I can increase the schools on the tetras, but what do the experts think?

As always, any and all advice is welcome!

Thank you,
Sean

They are...

For filters, I say get an AquaClear I'd you we're looking at HOBs. Best ones IMO.

Also think your stock is good, but remember to keep up on your PWCs.

Hello! I do not know much about those filters, so I will leave that part of your quandry alone. :) Your stock looks awesome and I personally think you would be totally fine to add some more tetras. I definitely recommend it for the rummies at least. Sometimes rummie can be a bit sensitive, but they often seem to do a little better for people in slightly bigger groups. I think you would be fine with 8 diamonds and 10 rummies personally. :)
Just a quick note, you may already know this, but just in case you don't: I suggest you try to find tank-bred rummies. They tend to be less sensitive and adjust faster than the wild caught specimens. :) Also, I suggest you search for locally bred gbr since they are pretty sensitive as well. If they are not locally bred, then make sure to get good stock from a good breeder. :)

They are not.... Just similar

What size AquaClear would you recommend? How are they on noise? Also on the subject, how quiet are canister filters in comparison? I wouldn't mind a nice canister style filter, and keep my current HOB as a back up.

Thanks,
Sean

The difference in the stock,

Diamond tetras in place of the Rummy nose. I also lowered the quantity down to 6 each (from 10 each) since the Diamond are a little larger.

Sean

Whoopsies, I read rummies twice! Sorry!
Well, ignore what I said about the rummies. If you want diamonds and lemons, thats fine. I think about 8 diamonds and 8 lemons would be a good place to start, and then once you see it all in the tank, you can decide if you want to add a few more of either fish. :)

Broke EF said:
They are not.... Just similar

What size AquaClear would you recommend? How are they on noise? Also on the subject, how quiet are canister filters in comparison? I wouldn't mind a nice canister style filter, and keep my current HOB as a back up.

Thanks,
Sean

An Aquaclear 70 would be fine with your filter. They are quiet and very flexible in terms of media.

As far as noise is concerned, which is better a high quality (AquaClear) HOB, or a Canister? Also, in what order, and quantities should I add in the fish? I am thinking it should go something like this

8 X Diamond Tetra
8 X Lemon Tetra
6 X Panda Cory's (Not sure if I should wait a little before adding these)
1 X Starlight Pleco (Not sure if I should wait before adding this)

Wait a couple of weeks (Not sure on time length)

2x GBR

Wait a couple of weeks (Not sure on time Length)

1 X Angel Fish

Does that sound right? Once fish go in, I should be monitoring Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates daily? I am thinking I should monitor those three daily for a while after adding each group of fish to make sure the BB is doing its job and keeping up.

Also I am wondering what temp should I set my water to? Last question (for now) what brand/type of food should I get?

Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Sean

I think your stock list is awesome and you could increase the Tetra schools a bit more as said above. I'd do a 50% water change per week w/ gravel vac to keep up good maintenance.

I have an AquaClear and they are great filters. I also have an internal Fluval U2 which I like a lot as well. I found with both filters and an air stone there were a lot of microbubbles and flow in my tank so I used some filter padding to reduce the flow from the AquaClear which helped.

Your heater idea sounds good too, just make sure they are both set to the same temp and I'd advise an internal thermometer (the glass ones, not the stick-on) if you don't have one already.

The order of fish looks fine to me although I don't have much experience with the GBR or Angels; it's probably best you do put them in after the other fish as you're planning. Yes once fish go in and anytime you add new fish, monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at least for a few days to make sure there aren't any spikes. If you do see a slight rise in ammonia your bacteria just have to adjust to the larger bioload and should adjust fairly quickly so just do extra water changes until ammonia falls to 0 if it happens.

Not sure about the temp; most tropical fish do well at 77-78; I don't think any of your fish have wildly different temp requirements.

For food, most foods will be fine. New Life Spectrum, Hikari or Omega One are probably better quality than most other brands. A variety is key: pellets, flakes, frozen foods would be appreciated. The Pandas also like a sinking pellet or algae wafer 2-3x per week after lights go out. I give mine either API Bottom Feeder shrimp pellets or New Life Spectrum H20 stable wafers (these don't break down in the water as others have that i've tried. I remove anything uneaten in the morning). My fish also love peas and they can aid in digestion; once per week I give them a couple of thawed, deshelled frozen peas. I remove what's left after about a half-hour or so.

It's very easy to over-feed; I still haven't quite gotten the hang of how much food to add lol. So just be careful.

Good luck with your fish. Pics when you get them. :D

+ 1 to library girl. Rams usually like temps in the 80's, so i would try to make conditions suited for them, since they are the most sensative fish in your groups. As for when to add them, i wout wait for a while to add the rams and angel. Maybe when your tank has been cycled and established for a couple months.

So should I set my temp at 80-81? My tank has been cycled for a little over a week already, but I will probably wait about a month after the first group (tetras, and cory's) before adding the GBR's, and then another month after that for the Angel.

Also does anyone have any tips or tricks for acclimating? Maybe some good articles? I am ready for drip acclimating with a specimen container hanging in a bucket. I saw a video of this method on a sponsor site. They hung the specimen container on the inside of a 5 gallon bucket, dumped the bag with fish in, then used air line tube to slowly drip tank water in and let it overflow into the bucket. They said about an hour, then pour the fish into a net, and add them to the tank. Does this sound good to you guys? Is this method OK for multiple fish at one time? I could add an air stone to the specimen container since I have a spare pump and stone as well. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Sean

Yep, you should keep it around 78-80 degrees for rams. Mine love the constant 82 F water.

As for acclimation, drip is best for sensitive fish like rams and rummies. All you need is airline tubing. Then tie some knots in it, start the siphon, and slowly the water will drop into the bag until full. It takes about an hour or two.

But for standard fish a good 15 minute float and then slowly adding water in is fine.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yep, you should keep it around 78-80 degrees for rams. Mine love the constant 82 F water.

As for acclimation, drip is best for sensitive fish like rams and rummies. All you need is airline tubing. Then tie some knots in it, start the siphon, and slowly the water will drop into the bag until full. It takes about an hour or two.

But for standard fish a good 15 minute float and then slowly adding water in is fine.

Sorry for asking here, but how do you start a sipjon with airline tubing? I would like to try this

Gboy66 said:
Sorry for asking here, but how do you start a sipjon with airline tubing? I would like to try this

I'm not sure how some people start it, but I'm too simple and cheap to try any methods so I just suck on it until the water comes out :oops:

Yeah, the method you are talking about is what I saw. Tie a knot around something at the top to keep it in the tank. Suck on it to get it flowing into the bucket then tie a knot to slow down the flow. You could also use a valve if you have one around.

So I will set the tank at 81, and get the second heater before the rams so its nice and even for them. Thanks for all the help guys (and girls).

Sean

You just tie the knot tighter to slow it down. I think I will use a valve, but that's because I am a little bit crazy and everything has to be perfect :)

While we are all here, Ill tell a quick little story! I stopped by my LFS yesterday in perpetration of getting fish soon. I wanted to see what they had in stock, and ask about ordering. I was planning on draining my tank, and doing some work on the stand (wiring) and some stuff in the tank. Plus I already knew that my Nitrates were off the scale, so a large water change was on order anyway.

So when we were there, the wife saw the Diamond Tetra (and fell in love), so I was thinking MAYBE I could get those the same day. When the guy comes over, I start asking questions and he seems to know a good amount. So I mention that I need to drain my tank to do some work, and he freaks out. He tells me that if I drain it, I will loose all of my BB and I will have to start all over with my cycle if I drain the tank. I told him that I need to do a large water change anyway because my Nitrates are off the scale, and he says that is not a problem?!?

He is also telling me to add the fish slowly, and do not get all 6 (at the time) Diamond Tetras at once. I tell him my tank is fully cycled and process 4ppm of ammonia in less than 24 hours. He tells me that it is not cycled, and tells me to buy a bottle of bacteria...

So after that, and a few other things, I just nodded and said good bye. It is a very nice LFS, and their tanks (and fish) always look nice, plus they have a great variety, so I will still go back. I will just avoid that employee :) I figured you guys would get a kick out of that.

Sean

I'm wondering about the higher temp that the GBR's seem to like. I know Panda Corys at least prefer a lower temp (low-mid 70's) but could probably do fine in mid-upper 70's but not sure how they'd do in an 80 degree tank; not sure about the Tetras either. Maybe fish can adapt to most temps as they can for PH? Perhaps a bit more research of community tanks with GBRs and which temp is best? Just thinking out loud...

Well, I know AqAdvisor is not the gospel, but it did say 82.X on the high end for the temp range. I want to say it was 78.X-82.X without looking at it again. Hopefully some others with GBR's will chime in. I will keep researching to see what I can find out as well.

Sean

Back
Top Bottom