some general questions about the hobby and my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone! Although I appreciate everyone's advice, the original question was "am I overstocked?" I didn't ask about the barb or goldfish. I am keeping them both and I will try to get a bigger tank, hopefully before they get too big. I'm not going to return them.

I know this probably is going to sound mean (I'm really am not mad or anything) but it won't be the first time that a fish was put in a small tank! (Besides, 40 gallons isn't that small! It sure beats a 20 or 30 gallon!) Like I said, I will try my absolute best to take care of them and get something bigger, but it might not happen soon.

Hey everyone! Although I appreciate everyone's advice, the original question was "am I overstocked?" I didn't ask about the barb or goldfish. I am keeping them both and I will try to get a bigger tank, hopefully before they get too big. I'm not going to return them.

I know this probably is going to sound mean (I'm really am not mad or anything) but it won't be the first time that a fish was put in a small tank! (Besides, 40 gallons isn't that small! It sure beats a 20 or 30 gallon!) Like I said, I will try my absolute best to take care of them and get something bigger, but it might not happen soon.

Yep, you are right. But read this and then make your decision.

Stunted growth means stunted lives — Seriously Fish

You're right! I read back to your original post. Whoops..

YES. You're overstocked. :angel:

1 I was wondering with my current stock (6 neon tetras, 5 Dalmatian mollies, balloon mollie, goldfish, red tailed tinfoil barb and swordtail all in a 40 gallon breeder) am i over stocked?

Yes, you are overstocked.

2 What should my water change routine be? i usually do 10-15 percent a week.
Ideally, 50% should be changed each week, twice a week if overstocked.

3 Is it true that fish will grow to the size of the tank?
This is mostly true. Small fish will grow to their optimum in a large tank, large fish will grow to their optimum in an adequately large tank. Flip this around, and your small fish and your "was supposed to be large" fish will be stunted if in a tank too small.

4 is it true that if you add a lot of fish, they will stay small?
They won't be able to grow properly if the tank is overstocked. Their organs won't like this, and the fish will die because their organs will literally squish each other until there is nowhere else to go. Quite sad, really. :ermm:

any other info/advice would be appreciated! PS, I am just tringto settle a debate with someone!
YES! I would suggest that you rehome your goldfish. It requires a different temperature zone than the other fish do. Also, your neon tetras will eventually be eaten by the barb. Also, the goldfish's fins will be compromise because of the nippy nature of the barb- if I recall correctly.

I guess you did ask for other advice. :) Just pointing that out. :thanks:

Although he didn't ask for other advice I felt it was needed because I have read a few original threads from him. He knows were not doing it to torment him, just friendly advice.

Although he didn't ask for other advice I felt it was needed because I have read a few original threads from him. He knows were not doing it to torment him, just friendly advice.

I know you guys are just giving friendly advice :) but some people (not you) think that I can just drop everything and go out and buy a 10000000 gallon tank! But I will defiantly look out for larger tanks that I can afford :)

I know you guys are just giving friendly advice :) but some people (not you) think that I can just drop everything and go out and buy a 10000000 gallon tank! But I will defiantly look out for larger tanks that I can afford :)

If only! I'll go halfsys for that 10000000 gallon tank!

That works, let me just tell my wife were moving to share a tank so she can laugh at me and call me stupid! We got a plan in the making!

Sounds like a great plan! We just sell every thing we own, and invest it in a 1000000 gallon tank! Hey, 500000 gallons each sounds fair! Lol!

Why not! I'll be stocking mine with a few shark species. But back on topic, yes your overstocked

I think I will be fine with cichlids :) anyway, I am already looking on Craigslist and waiting for some sales! I am really hoping to get a 75, but I will have to get what I can afford and what I have space for :)

Back
Top Bottom