Some good, low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Louise0328

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, i am planning on starting a small, heated and filtered, planted cherry shrimp tank. I wanted to keep it small, like, around 3 gallons. Well, the nearest to that was a 2.5 gallon at Petsmart. :ermm:

So, my question is, what are some good, low light plants, floating and rooting, that would do good in that size tank? Dwarf plants would be the best... :huh:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a light fixture? I was thinking a desktop bending lamp with a 6" flouresant bulb, but does anyone know of any smaller fixtures? :confused:

Thanks for the help!

:thanks:

Hi, i am planning on starting a small, heated and filtered, planted cherry shrimp tank. I wanted to keep it small, like, around 3 gallons. Well, the nearest to that was a 2.5 gallon at Petsmart. :ermm:

So, my question is, what are some good, low light plants, floating and rooting, that would do good in that size tank? Dwarf plants would be the best... :huh:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a light fixture? I was thinking a desktop bending lamp with a 6" flouresant bulb, but does anyone know of any smaller fixtures? :confused:

Thanks for the help!

I just recently got a banana plant, the lady that works there said this was the first live plant she ever had, she had it in a 2.5 gallon. She said it did awesome, the leaves came up the top and the leaves looked like lily pads, she said a few of them even bloomed. She didn't get any specia lighting, just used what was in the top of the tank she had.

I wanted to keep it small, like, around 3 gallons. Well, the nearest to that was a 2.5 gallon at Petsmart. :ermm:

Have you considered the Fluval Spec III or JBJ Picotope? Those are some nice 3 gallon tanks. Or even those Aqueon Evolve tanks?

I was considering a banana plant! I love the look of them! Thanks!

Are those tanks expensive? I'm on a budget and was hoping to keep things cheapish. :)

Probably the Picotope would be the cheapest. It comes with a light and filter. I'd probably either swap the light or at least the bulb to a daylight bulb. Perhaps add a prefilter sponge or some type of filter mesh (or pantyhose) to the filter intake to prevent shrimp from getting sucked up. Some low light tolerant plants would be some java fern, java moss (or any other moss like flame, Xmas, etc.), cypts, dwarf sag, and possibly micro swords if you up the lighting a bit.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15493

That tank does look really nice! I might have to get a cheap sponge filter and order that tank :)

I was thinking about doing the clip on desk lamp but the tank is going on a shelf and it is just tall enough to have several inches above the rim... I think enough for a small hood lamp... But I'm not sure.

Here's that tank with a clip light. Although i think with that particular light would handle low to moderate light plants. You can dose with a good liquid fertilizer like flourish comprehensive and flourish excel instead of injecting co2 for best plant growth. For substrate, id go with either Fluval shrimp stratum, Eco Complete, or Floramax.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192743

A was actually planning on using the floramax! I'm glad you recommended it before I bought it!

Well, I measured the shelf and the tank with that light fixture is around 2 inches to tall. My shelf is 11" tall and 18" long... :(

Have you had any experience with sponge filters? Do you like them? I found one on eBay for $2.32... Free shipping and all. :D

Oh i forgot to recommend anubias petite or nana to the low light plant options...

As for sponge filters, I've never used them. But based on reviews and from testimony from others here on AA that use them, I'd say they're good for shrimp tanks. I like this one on Amazon based on price and good reviews...

Check this out on AMZN:
Jardin Fish Aquarium Mini Cylinder Soft Sponge Water Filter, Black
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LMQCW2/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Im sure they're might be other lighting options out there. Just keep digging around online.. I'll look as well and get back to you.

Thanks for helping! I'm thinking a black back and black substrate. I think the shrimp would look brighter, along with the plants.

I'll look around for some more lighting ideas.

I saw a couple of 10" fixtures but the tank I'm hoping to get is like... 11.8 inches :(

I found a flex neck light... It looks real nice and it's not SUPER expensive...

Attachments

• image-3497846173.jpg
    image-3497846173.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 53
I saw a couple of 10" fixtures but the tank I'm hoping to get is like... 11.8 inches :(

I found a flex neck light... It looks real nice and it's not SUPER expensive...

I was just on another thread here that use bulbs from Walmart/lowes/home depot. Basically what you need to look for are bulbs that say daylight and have the number 6500k on the package. I'll include the links to the bulbs on the other thread.

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...0051&productId=3202347&store=0439&view=detail

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Philips-En...t-6500K-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-E-420091/203248911/

Back
Top Bottom