Some Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everybody
I am in the process of setting up a 56 UK gal planted corner tank, I have a Dennerle co2 system to put on to it.
I am unsure of the amount of bubbles per minute etc. that is needed, any advice would be appreciated.

When it comes to planted tanks i'm a bit of a beginner.

Many thanks

Asking the bubbles per minute is like asking how far down you have to press the accelerator pedal on your car to get to 100 kph. All cars are different. Just like all tanks are different. What you want to do if you don't have a pH monitor and solenoid is start with a very low bubble rate, ~1 bps or so and after a half hour check the pH of the water. Wait!!!!! Backup!!!! First check the pH and kH of the water before you start. Are you familiar with the pH/kH/CO2 chart? If can be found here http://www.aquabotanic.com/charts.htm Once you know your kH and pH you will know your CO2 levels assuming that the only buffers in the water are carbonate based. No peat, no pH adjusting chemicals and things like that. Now, run the system at a low bubble rate, check the pH, look at the chart and find out your CO2 levels. Run the system at or around 15 ppm for a few days and then if you wish you can crank it up to around 25 ppm.

If you have the pH monitor and solenoid and have correctly connected everything then just set the monitor and forget about it.

Can you tell me more about the system you have? Does it have a reactor or a diffuser?

Thanks Rex for the reply,

This is all new to me, as you could probably tell by my first question. I will give you a rough run down of what i have done.

As i said in my first post i have installed a 56 UK gal corner Aquarium in my store and i want to use it to sell plants from, it has come with a external filter, Eheim 2215. It also has a Dennerle C02 kit with it and as i am not up on C02 i thought i would ask.
The system comprises of a 1. Co2 cylinder, 2. PROFI 2000 regulator with needle valve, 3. CO-PROOF hose, 4. Magnetic Valve, 5. Check Valve (non-return valve) 6. C02 Diffusor CYCLO 5000. I have connected the Eheim 2215 to the Cyclo. I would just like to say that i haven't got the C02 running yet as i am waiting for a new C02 cylinder, but it will be in the next couple of days.

I hope this helps you a little, your advice would be much appreciated. look forward to your reply.

Is it a diffuser or a reactor? A diffuser is a piece that goes into the tank and releases a fine mist of bubbles that sometimes dissolve before they reach the surface. A reactor is something that can be either inside the tank or outside the tank. Normally in a reactor the water runs though the reactor and the gas is released into the reactor where it is churned around till it dissolved.

Thanks again Rex for answering.

I think it is a diffuser, but this is what it says in the book, the c02 bubbles are drawn into the atomiser jet and split into a number of tiny gas "pearls" which are then diffused in the constant turbulance inside the cyclo. waste gases are separated and expelled. Fits onto the water outlet hose of any power filter.
What it looks like is a see through tube and it has a spiral centre which the bubbles run up.

HTH

Hi again Rex
I also have a lighting question, The lighting that come with the tank is as follows:- There are 3 tubes that are Dennerle Plant tubes. 38w at the front, 30w in the middle, and a 15w to the back.
All the tubes say are they are for plants, will this be enough. I know in your article on setting up a planted tank you said 2w per gal or if you were a newbie 2.5w per gal.
Will this effect the types of plants i can keep.

Please advise, many thanks.

What you have is what us on the Left side of the pond would call a reactor. As for the lighting yes it will affect what plants you can grow. And it's not going to be many. Your tank is as I understand 56 Imperial gallons. That means it's about a 67 US gallon tank and you have 83 watts of light. That puts you right about 1.2 watts per gallon. That's pretty low. You might be able to grow Anubias, Crypts, and Java moss and Java Fern but that would be about it. And even then you might have problems because normally corner tanks are deeper than standard tanks. The only decent lighting solution for most corner tanks is a MH pendant. If you were to get a 150-175 watt MH pendant you would be set.

Hiya Rex.

Thankyou very much for the advice, i have taken it all onboard and will act accordenly.

I sent you a few Kudos yesterday for your help, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom