some kind of polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superman1950s

Aquarium Advice Activist
Over the last few days a piece of my LR has some nice polyp growth on it. I don't know what kind it is. I do know its not aiptasia, as I've dealt with it in the pass. here is a pic.
img_1640779_0_db179f9978d1485d392e9730c106d770.jpg

OK,
Here is a quick update on what the polyps turned into. They've gotten big and have grown in numbers. I showed this pic to a coral farm out here in VA Beach and he said to get rid of them.
img_1726414_0_6b7beaad44cb6467949d5a98aebf01c7.jpg

He said that if I put another coral in the tank he said these guys will send out, what he calls a "runner" and start to grown in the middle of the new coral and kill it. He also said that they have a neuro-toxin, that could be bad if they happen to sting me.

So what to you guys think. Remove them or what?

Oh, and they glow green under actinic lights.

They look exactly like my palythoas. They will grow very fast that much i can tell you. I have not had any other issues other than fast growth from these guys. I did have a section that a powerhead blew off and it reattached elsewhere in the tank but thats about it.

Not the prettiest coral in the world but still a living creature and actually kinda nice, gives my tank a mature look to it. :-D

i think that's ridiculous. I've had those palys many times in many tanks and nothing like that happened. The paly toxin is a real thing, but all of them have that as far as i know. They won't "sting" you though. you have to cut one open and it squirt you or some times they squirt fluid when you pull them out of the tank. Eye protection is the defense against that. If your skin is very sensitive you might have a reaction from excessive handling of them. In that case, wear gloves when fragging them.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick answers. I'll be keeping them. I do like them and of Carey hasn't had any trouble with them and other corals then I should be fine.

So it's been a few years and just wanted to show y'all what the colony looks likeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718646.271491.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718667.514812.jpg sorry for brining on old post from the dead. Didn't see a need to make a new one

Back
Top Bottom