Some Kind of Worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some Kind of Worm? (with pic)

Five days ago I picked up some fish and put them into quarantine. In the last two, possibly three days, I noticed what I thought were possible Ich spots on them, but even smaller than usual. I spent a lot of time inspecting the fish today, and now those extremely tiny spots have turned into extremely tiny threads. Like... a milimeter long, at most. A lot of them are easily less than that. They don't seem to wriggle or move around, either.

I thought Planaria at first, but I've never had planaria on my fish in such a way. I sparingly feed, too. Once a day and I make sure each fish only gets two pellets max.

They're not covered with it, but it's noticeable. I'm not seeing them anywhere else in the tank, either. Just on the three Hoplo catfish, in no particular area like the gills, eyes, mouth etc. The cleanup crew snails don't appear to have any on them either.

They are still highly active, as hungry as ever, and still seem to be in good spirits because they like to play with my hand and peck at it when its in the tank for whatever reason. I've observed them for many hours and I have yet to see any of them flashing against anything.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd add a photo but I doubt even my best camera could capture a decent picture of them.

Edit: Managed to get a very close up pic. This fish is between 3.5 and 4 inches.

Attachments

• Tinyworms.jpg
    Tinyworms.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 53
I talked to some folks at LFS' today and they didn't really know what to tell me, except that it might be some kind of skin fluke. I had multiple recommendations for 'Seachem Paraguard'. I've picked up a bottle and began the recommended dosage, so we'll see how things go.

I've taken out my cleanup snails for the time being, but thus far the baby snails that have found their way into my tank seem unaffected by the medicine. The medicine does seem to cause stress in the fish however, as they are breathing harder than normal. Tomorrow's dose will be half of the recommended to see if it causes less stress.

Well, I finally spotted one of the worms actually moving on the fish. Up until now they had all appeared stationary or anchored. It moved in a typical fashion, head first and then contracting the body, and then moving the head forward, etc.

Stretched out it was probably 1.5mm max.

Back
Top Bottom