some more newbie Q's- refugiums, tests, lighting, uncured LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dropped

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone!

first off, i just want to thank everyone for their kind advice! i don't know anyone with a SW tank and it helps to get advice from people that aren't selling anything.

A little background of my setup is:

65g tank with 20g sump/refuge
mag9.5 with SCWD for flow
75lbs of LR
2x250 MH Canopy with 20k radiums
150lbs of southdown in main tank
ASM skimmer

I finally purchased LR today. I got 75lbs of uncured Miaki LR for a great deal! but I have some more newbie q's so please be gentle.

-water changes during cycle with uncured LR. yay or nay?

- i have a test kit. what reading should i have before i do a water change? i know i have to look out for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

- should i have a DSB in my refugium in addition to the main tank DSB? I have some macro algae for the refuge but i want it mainly for copepods for my future mandarin dragonet. what height of sand should i use in my refuge for copepods and macro algae?

- can i put my heater in the refuge?

- i saw a bit of bushy algae on one of the LR. i tried to scrub it and most of it came off, but not all. should i take the rock out? do i need to worry about it?

- do i do water changes in the sump or tank?

- do i just dump the macro algae in the refuge? there are 2 types that i have, can i just leave them entangled? do they just float?

- how long should i run my MH's during the curing/cycling process?

- what powerhead would you recommend for an auto top off? with about 3' of head.

- run skimmer during cycle?

i can't wait for the tank to be fully setup! i've taken pics of each stage and will make a thread when i'm done. I just need the refuge setup and I'm going to change the return plumbing setup tomorrow. hope everything goes well.

I promise when i gain more knowledge, I'll help you by answering these types of q's in the future! i promise!

TIA :D

1 wtare changes is really up to you. if you want ot keep the stuff alive like the little crabs and worms then do them about ever other day.

2 dont really know what u are asking.

3 i would have a dsb in it. i think most ppl have on in there. 3-4 inches will be good.

4 yes you can just make sure it is going to be under water at all times.

5 i would just let it be. i did not clean any of my rock when i got it. just let the stuff grow and see after it cycles what you want and what you dont want.

6 well if you have a sump then you can take the watre out of there. but it really dose not matter. if possable keep the pumps running when do the water changes.

7 dont know

8 dont run them on at all. it will make the algae grow and then you will have a mess when it is done.

9 mj 1200 i think will work but that is just a guess.

10 i would and did. it pulls out a lot of stuff and helps witht eh smell. also run gac that keeps the smell down too.

i hope this helps some.

thanks for your reply! I have pretty much every answer now. For #2, I don't know what a high ammonia amount would be...same with nitrates, nitrites. Is there a certain level where I should definatly change the water? i'm sleepy so i hope I make sense.

so for the refuge, do pods need a DSB to breed? My refuge is only 8" high, so a DSB would take up all the room. what level can i get away with?

I have the answer to #7 also.

thanks again

For ammonia on the LR cycle, I think it depends on what is on the rocks. If you have a lot of life on the rock, I would try to keep the ammonia below .5 for sure. I had a batch of LR that got really bad witho ammonia levels that reach 1.0 and stunk up my whole house. I did 50% water changes every day until the smell subsided. Usually every other day is fine.

You probably won't see much nitrite until the ammonia starts dropping. I doubt the nitrates will be evident at all until the tank matures a bit.

HTH

for #7 i would just get them attached to a rock and let them grow. let them grow but not go a sexual on you.

Back
Top Bottom