Some pics of my new fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
image-990612404.jpg

American flag fish meets Betta.

image-121479780.jpg

What I thought was a furcata rainbow, but now not so sure.

image-1572439512.jpg

Mr. Pleco

Awesome pics holly! :)

That looks like a furcata rainbow. It could be another one though. Do you have a full side pic? How big of a school do you have it in?

image-3616093233.jpg
sorry it uploaded sideways.
Here's one. The fins look different from all the pics I've found online. The eyes were blue at the LFS, I think. But these fish were all in an enormous tank with several species mixed. The eyes haven't looked blue since I got them home. Not sure if it's my light or what. So far I have 3 of these. Planning to get 3 more if they need buddies.

One looks like a furcata rainbow, if not some other similar one, but the second one is definitely not. That's a threadfin rainbow. Both need some good-sized schools but do fine in a minimum of 20 Gallons. How big of a tank do you have them in?

Yeah, I have 3 threadfins. I plan to add more this weekend. But the Furcata fins don't look like the ones on google. Any idea why their eyes are green? They're in a 45 gallon.
Thanks!

I'm not sure. You could have a different rainbow entirely. Perhaps
this? But it still doesn't have the green eyes. Wait a week or two and see if there's any change in color.

You have a celebes rainbow, Telmatherina ladigesi. These are beautiful fish and should do fine with your threadfins.

On a side note, I would suggest keeping a watchful eye on those flagfish. I have seen some pretty aggressive specimens and I worry that the betta wouldn't stand a chance.

Pseudomugil is an entirely different genus. I have seen that link before and I have no idea why they would call these fish aggressive. I've kept P furcatus and gertrudae for a few years and it has just not been my experience at all.

Last edited:
Nice fish! Keeping flagfish with a betta is risky. Killies sometimes get pretty nasty with long finned slow moving fish. Threadfins seem a little delicate to be mixed with them as well, but they may be able to stay off their radar. It's possible they will need seperated so I would be prepared for that just in case. :)

Thanks for all the info everybody! :) I will keep an eye out for aggression problems. So far everybody seems to be getting along. The tank has lots of hiding spaces and plants.

Severum Mamma, should my rainbows have blue eyes?

Thanks everybody!

Hholly, the fish that are commonly referred to as "blue eyes" are the Pseudomugils, like gertrudae, signifer, furcatus. Your fish is in a different genus and to my knowledge would not be considered a blue eye. Your celebes rainbow in the photos looks completely normal to me. Your fish will color up more when they get settled down. You can expect them to show some nice blue/green on the body and yellow on the fins. It looks like yours have some maturing to do as well so you can expect the finnage to improve with age. Just wait until you see them displaying for one another (same with the threadfins, BTW). It would be good to add a few more as long as you have room.

Thanks for all the great info. It's good to know what I actually have. :thanks:
The pet store told me they were Pseudomugils and rang them up that way. I know I saw some blue eyes in that big tank. I guess the guy got them mixed up. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom