Some questions...regarding equipment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok after reading many of the posts on these forums and also speaking to my local fish store I decided I would invest my money into a protein skimmer and a a RO/DI filter.

I went with this RO/DI unit from coralife and a Aqua C Remora with Maxi Jet 1200 protein skimmer. The protein skimmer seems to have made a good impression on the people who browse this forum and I figured the coralife RO/DI filter seemed to have the right price (got it for $106 shipped after coupons) and I felt more comfortable ordering through Drs. Foster & Smith than the links I saw on here for ebay.

Also when using my RO/DI filter I read two things, one article said you need to put trace elements back into the RO water by using Electro-right or Kent Marine RO adjuster. I also read that the salt you mix into the water contains a lot of the trace elements you needed to replace anyway. So what do you guys advise, should I get some trace element supplement or will the ones put in from the salt be fine?

Lastly, these two brands are going to be a worthwhile investment towards the health of my aquarium and shouldn't do anything funny in a few weeks or something right?

Great choice on the skimmer and going with RO/DI.

I think if you have FOWLR you will be fine. Tropic Marin salt is suppose to have more elements but I think most of the name brands are fine

I dont think trace elements are removed enough to be concerned unless you have a Reef Tank and even then there is other ways to handle those issues.

I may be wrong, we will see what others have to say

Most tap water contains more harmful elements then anything and most of the trace elements you need in your tank will be replenished by doing regular PWC. Most “trace element” chemicals that are sold are a waste of time, money, and are potentially dangerous to the over all health of your aquarium if you don’t have test kits for every chemical added to avoid overdosing.

ca is one of the few trace elements that is sometimes needed for good invert/coral growth but is also unnecessary most of the time. (More on the topic)

Often the addition of one chemical affects other chemical compositions and unless you have an excellent understanding of these reactions I would avoid it completely and just keep up with your PWC to replenish trace elements.

Great skimmer and ro/di unit selection. Both should be a great long term investment :D

Back
Top Bottom