Some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. Just something I've been curious about. I took a video of one of my fish doing something interesting:

YouTube - Fish Behavior

A lot of times I see saltwater fish repeatedly swimming up and down the same area or similar behavior. Is this territorial? Is it even known why saltwater have a tendency to do this kind of thing?

2. What does everybody use to take pictures of their aquarium? I have sort of a cheap-o camera and I can't take very good pictures of my fish, what are some recommendations for taking higher quality pictures of fish?

3. About five days ago I introduced two new fish to my 150G saltwater tank. Before, it had a maroon clownfish, a diamond watchman goby, and 11 damsels of different types. I added another damsel and a bi-color pseudochromis. Now of course they got picked on but after a day or so the new damsel was doing just fine and making friends. However, one of the previous damsels, not even the most dominant or aggressive, would just not leave the pseudochromis alone. To this day, he is really persistant at attacking the new pseudochromis whenever he sees it, and for at least 3-4 days now the pseudochromis hides behind the overflow cup and will hardly come out. I've been feeding him there and he eats just fine, he's just afraid of everyone else in the tank. What can I do to help him adjust to the rest of the fish? The LFS told me he was compatible, but did they lie? I'm hoping to add some more live rock soon so maybe more hiding places will help?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

-Adam Horton

Damsels can get quite mean. That`s why alot of us dont fool with damsels. They will harass the daylights out of your tank. I have one in my tank. He`s well behaved though but I`ve had a few I had to get rid of though.

I see, well some of them are pretty mean, I agree. The aggressive one in this case is named Flash. Do you think if I quarantined Flash (put him in time-out) that the pseudochromis (let's call him Scooter) would eventually come out and play? Flash is really the only one that picks on him.

Let's say that I quarantined Flash and Scooter was doing OK. What if I re-introduced Flash and saw what happened? I'm hoping that after he'd had some time to think about his behavior that he'd have an attitude adjustment. If not, I could just give him back to the LFS... or maybe I should send the pseudochromis back?

This is the first time I've added new fish since I added Flash, maybe he'll be like this with everybody?

All right, I've done a little reading and here's what I think I'll try first, since it seems to be inexpensive. I'll buy a clear plastic container, drill some small holes in the bottom, and attach it to the upper corner of the tank. It's something I'll put Scooter in so that nobody can get in or out, but they can see each other. This way, it will be easier for me to feed Scooter, and Flash can get all of his aggression out of his system without actually being able to hurt Scooter. With any luck, Flash will eventually stop. If not, then I may have to put Flash in time-out, and see where to go from there.

I'm not opposed to taking Flash back to the store. If there's one thing I hate, it's a bad attitude :p. Thanks for all your advice so far, and I'll let you know how this goes...

Damsels are evil...
I had 4 that ganged up on a Clown trigger and killed a Koran angel 3 times their size. I grabbed a 10" scoop net and grabbed them all in one scoop.

The swimming up and down is just the fish exploring.

Get a Canon/Nikon digital SLR. I use an old Canon 30D I got for my 16th birthday--I know most teenagers get cars, I had to wait another year b/c of some stupid Kentucky law.

Canon Rebels are affordable and great cameras.

Eventually, that one damsel that's picking on everybody will terrorize everything. They're just mean.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've put the pseudochromis in a plastic see-through container. It's a lot easier to feed him now. I've got pictures of the setup, I'll try and post them tonight and I'll post udpates if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom