Some sort of plant???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubswin17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a FOWLR tank and saw this thing growing on one of my pieces of live rock. It's in an awkward place on my tank so I had to use my iPhone to get the pics, sorry for the poor quality. Amy ideas what it is??

Attachments

• image-368965618.jpg
    image-368965618.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1706780479.jpg
    image-1706780479.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 76
Looks like aiptasia. It'll quickly retract if touched or disturbed.

These are considered pest anemone's in reef tanks (due to their ability to sting corals and multiply).

In FOWLR tanks they're probably more of an eye-sore (if/when they multiply); they're harmless to fish.

They're usually eradicated by chemical means. Try not to manually remove them because any cellular fragments that remain can become individual aiptasia.

kay-bee19 said:
Looks like aiptasia. It'll quickly retract if touched or disturbed.

These are considered pest anemone's in reef tanks (due to their ability to sting corals and multiply).

In FOWLR tanks they're probably more of an eye-sore (if/when they multiply); they're harmless to fish.

They're usually eradicated by chemical means. Try not to manually remove them because any cellular fragments that remain can become individual aiptasia.

Great info, thanks! Any advice on how chemically remove them? Thanks again!!!

There are products designed to eradicate aiptasia.

Other chemicals include Kalk, lemon juice and vinegar (usually the chemical or chemical product has to be squirted directly on or injected into the pest anemone).

I've even heard of electrolysis or boiling water (applied with a syringe) being used to kill them.

kay-bee19 said:
There are products designed to eradicate aiptasia.

Other chemicals include Kalk, lemon juice and vinegar (usually the chemical or chemical product has to be squirted directly on or injected into the pest anemone).

I've even heard of electrolysis or boiling water (applied with a syringe) being used to kill them.

Wow! Sounds like a pain in the butt! Thanks for the info though!!!!!

I have used apista-x and it worked beautifully to rid my tank of them

Back
Top Bottom