Some type of worm? Bobbit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking in my new nano today at the corals... When i noticed something catch my eye.... In a small hole inbetween 2 shrooms... There was this fiberglass like peices sticking out from the rock.... I looked closer and i noticed 2 tenticles that were twisting counter clockwise about a 1/4 turn then back clock wise 1/4 turn.... kinda like drilling or digging... maybe to catch somethings attention. I got tweezers and tried to remove it... i just sucked itself into the hole.. AHAH.. so you are something in there... I decided to do some research and hit a thread somewhere about bobbit worms? I decided well... what ever it is.. I have to get it out. So I had to frag the 5 mushrooms off of the rock (first time ever *crosses fingers*) After that I took the rock and cracked it open... I was right there was something in there alright... but i have NO CLUE.. What it is? Maybe someone else has seen something like this.. I thought it might be a bobbit.. But I dont think so.....it closes itself inside lie a skin and doesnt have those huge jaws... attached is a picture... I hope.

So what do you guys think this is... and was it a bad guy? If not im gonna feel like crap... after al that work haha. But atleast I finally took the plung to cut a mushroom from the rock. :)

Attachments

• bobbitworm.jpg
    bobbitworm.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 86
Never seen one outside of a rock, but it looks kind of like a spaghetti worm to me.

Granted... there can be some nasty things living in our rocks, but from my experience the odds that you have a truly nasty hitchhiker is fairly remote. If you go around busting open every rock that you see something strange hiding in, you aren't going to be left with many rocks if you're looking closely!

Spaghetti worm gets my vote too from the look of the tentacles. They are what you see reaching out from the rock to search for food. Great additions to the tank.

Might want to ask first before you bust up any more rock. :)

I had one of those. Its not a bobbit or spaghetti worm. The end looks like eye lashes? The one I had put holes through my rocks. I could see straight through. My "reef safe" peppermint shrimp pulled him out and then all my fish feasted on him. Street justice!!! BTW I could not find an ID. I dont know if it is good or bad because I dont know what it is.

It looks like a sabellidae. But I cant find anything saying that they drill. I searched every where and could not find it. Found other people with them but no positve id. Look at the pics of them.
Worm Hitch Hikers

Back
Top Bottom