Something attacking fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 15 gallon tank and 5 of my fish have been attacked. The fish that were attacked are ....... 2 guppies, 2 red wag platies, and a bloodfin. The fish in the tank are 1 glass fish, 4 red wag platies, a pair of guppies, a sailfin molly, 2 bloodfins, a tigger barb, a corey catfish, a Chinese algae eater, and a blueberry fish (what my LFS calls it). Dose anyone know what attacked them?

Thanks

Canterthefishman said:
I have a 15 gallon tank and 5 of my fish have been attacked. The fish that were attacked are ....... 2 guppies, 2 red wag platies, and a bloodfin. The fish in the tank are 1 glass fish, 4 red wag platies, a pair of guppies, a sailfin molly, 2 bloodfins, a tigger barb, a corey catfish, a Chinese algae eater, and a blueberry fish (what my LFS calls it). Dose anyone know what attacked them?

Thanks

I'm gonna say the tiger barb. They should be in groups of at the very least five. They are notorious fin nippers.

You've got an odd assortment of fish in that tank. If fish aren't kept in their proper school numbers, they may exhibit aggression. Your tetras are really happiest in schools of 8 or more.

Obviously, you cannot raise the levels of all of your species to their proper amount, so if I were you, I'd think about what I might really like to keep and rehome the rest.

Tiger barbs are quite often in species only tanks as they are highly aggressive and just downright nasty. It could very well be the tiger barb that's causing the problem.

Hello,

I'm willing to bet its the tiger barb. Even in schools of 5 or more these things arnt too nice to smaller fish like guppies :( I learnt that the hard way, poor guppies.... I had to transport 4 guppies to a community tank at work. Over the weekend the boss added 6 tiger barbs and by Monday my poor little guppies had disappeared!

I am also guessing the algae eater if it's starting to mature...but tiger barb as well. Nipped fins? Definitely the giger barb. He will not calm down if you don't get him a school soon.

Back
Top Bottom