Something creative for my 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an old 10 g sitting in my basement. I want to set it up this summer, hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm kind of stuck on what to do with it though! It seems like there are so many possibilities, so anyone have any cool ideas?

I was thinking moderately planted with a betta/endlers and some pygmy cories, or a sparkling gourami, or some nano fish, like celestial pearl danios.

Tropical said:
I have an old 10 g sitting in my basement. I want to set it up this summer, hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm kind of stuck on what to do with it though! It seems like there are so many possibilities, so anyone have any cool ideas?

I was thinking moderately planted with a betta/endlers and some pygmy cories, or a sparkling gourami, or some nano fish, like celestial pearl danios.

Endlers are awesome, but I don't think I'd risk them with a betta. You could do endlers and a dwarf gourami maybe, with the Pygmy cories or maybe 3 ottos? So something like this:
6 endlers
6 Pygmy cories
1 dwarf gourami
? Just a thought.

This Is what I'm doing for a ten gallon:
6 neon tetras
1 male Betta
3 ottos
2 ADF's.

I agree that the betta and endlers were a bad combo. I was thinking a betta or the endlers, not both. Sorry, that was a little confusing.

I like your idea, but I'd probably change it to 3-4 endlers, 5 pygmy cories, 1 sparkling gourami, and maybe 3 oto cats or a snail.

Pygmy cories and the sparkling gouramis would work. I keep some in a 20 long.

Just one word of advice, go with a dark substrate, they'll show off better.

We have white gravel in our 20 and I'm seriously hating myself for picking it. It was great when it was a betta tank, but now that it's a pygmy tank and they are lighter colored, you can't see them easily.

Tropical said:
I agree that the betta and endlers were a bad combo. I was thinking a betta or the endlers, not both. Sorry, that was a little confusing.

I like your idea, but I'd probably change it to 3-4 endlers, 5 pygmy cories, 1 sparkling gourami, and maybe 3 oto cats or a snail.

That sounds like a nice combo! Just make sure you let the tank get established a bit before adding the ottos, and you should be ok.

I keep going back and fourth between betta and no betta. I've been interested in them for years, it seems like everyone's had a betta at some point or another. I considered adding one to my 20 g for the longest time.

It's difficult to find suitable tankmates though.

Pygmy cories and the sparkling gouramis would work. I keep some in a 20 long.

Just one word of advice, go with a dark substrate, they'll show off better.

We have white gravel in our 20 and I'm seriously hating myself for picking it. It was great when it was a betta tank, but now that it's a pygmy tank and they are lighter colored, you can't see them easily.

Do you think they would look ok on tan sand? I have black gravel in my 20 long, so I was thinking of going with light sand for this one. If not, black sand it is :)

Anybody else have ideas? I'd really love a small schooling fish but I can't find any I'm in love with.

Tropical said:
Anybody else have ideas? I'd really love a small schooling fish but I can't find any I'm in love with.

Blue king tetra? They look super awesome. Though not a good idea to keep them with Betta as they fin nip.

Sounds like you are setting up the exact same tank that I have!! Haha, currently I have 3 pygmy corys, 2 CPDs (because 3 passed away) and some kuhli loaches. I was looking into cardinals as my schooling fish.

I change my mind on an hourly basis :) Now I'm thinking 6 rummy nose tetras, 1 betta, 3 oto cats, and some shrimp or snails. Ideas?

Tropical said:
I change my mind on an hourly basis :) Now I'm thinking 6 rummy nose tetras, 1 betta, 3 oto cats, and some shrimp or snails. Ideas?

Sounds good to me! I'd go with shrimp. The ottos will take care of the algae no problem.

Tropical said:

Haha wow! Get outta my head! I had 7 rummys in there but they werent exactly happy in there. Wasn't enough room to swim...

Haha wow! Get outta my head! I had 7 rummys in there but they werent exactly happy in there. Wasn't enough room to swim...

That's what I was worried about :( Any other suggestions? I want a small schooling fish with color, but will get along with a betta.

Tropical said:
That's what I was worried about :( Any other suggestions? I want a small schooling fish with color, but will get along with a betta.

Cardinal tetras? Neon tetras? Harlequin rasboras?

Well I had my rummys with a croaking gourami (not the dwarf or sparkling kind) I've heard that harlequin rasboras have active lifestyles?

Predfan27 said:
Well I had my rummys with a croaking gourami (not the dwarf or sparkling kind) I've heard that harlequin rasboras have active lifestyles?

But they're so tiny, the active lifestyle fits in a ten gallon lol.

Back
Top Bottom