Something may be wrong with glofish....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S.rigney88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 glofish, a snail, and 3 albino catfish. I have only had the catfish for about a week. They were all fine until the last couple of days. The glofish seem to be staying at the very top of the tank and just huddling together there while the catfish thing they rule the tank. The catfish are also swimming very fast up and trying to get at the glofish almost. I am very worried becasue before we got the catfish the glofish used to swim all around the tank.... please help. I don't know what to do. This is my first try at having fish....

How long have you had the tank for? Is the tank cycled? I'm not sure if glofish are good tankmates for the catfish but you have too many fish for a ten gallon. It might be they don't have their own space and are fighting for it. The catfish can grow up to 3 inches and the glofish 2 inches. The bare min. rule is one inch of fish per gallon of water but its better if they have way more room than that.

Are these corydoras catfish or some other kind. That does not sound like typical corydoras behavior.

These is a normal albino corydoras:
albino_corydoras.jpg

This is another kind of "typical" catfish:
0059.jpg

Which type of fish does your catfish most resemble?

If they're cories, and you have adequate filtration, that's not over crowding. But I agree with mike on the behavior. I've NEVER seen or heard of an aggressive cory.

It is the corydoras... I don't know why they are acting like that.... but they seem to be getting kind of aggresive with my glofish... I am worried, what should i do?

Ok all cories take little breaths of air from time to time, most of the time when they do this they take off like a rocket to the surface, practically climb out sometimes lol up to half their body can be forced out of the water, then they just as quickly go back down, if this is behavior your experiencing it's not a sign of aggression at all, it's a sign of happy cories lol

Can you upgrade to a twenty gallon? That really Is the minimum tank size for both of those fish, and it will help with the problem if the danios can get further away from the cories.

The cories aren't hurting the danios, just scaring them, correct?

Corys will occasionally make that little dash to the surface to take in a little air. They are able to "breath" air through their intestinal lining which absorbs it. Similar to how a anabantid fish like Gouramis do with their labyrinth organ.

The reason we are questioning this is probably why I am. In all the years I have kept fish, I have never seen or heard of a case where a cory was aggressive to another fish. I've have seen them scare danios with their mad dash to the surface and back. I have never had any of them harass or harm another fish though.

Back
Top Bottom