Something nailing my guppies tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

So I bought a freshwater tank (180l) and after a gnarled couple of weeks after transporting it + existing fish I decided to stock up a little and invested in some none aggressive extra fIsh today including some guppies.

After a few hours in the tank I noticed the smallest one has had pretty much the entirety of his tail eaten. The existing fish I had presumed were non aggressive as I have had no problems up until now. I have attached a couple of photos of the ones I think may be the culprits (these are the ones that seem to be taking an interest in the guppies and are some of the original fish). Can anyone identify them for me and let me know whether these might be my attackers?

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Attachments

• 21D16E88-2854-4A82-9B83-CDF2BFFA39F1.jpg
    21D16E88-2854-4A82-9B83-CDF2BFFA39F1.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 9CCCB8D6-C489-43E0-B24F-C4CD83B3B52E.jpg
    9CCCB8D6-C489-43E0-B24F-C4CD83B3B52E.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 48
That red one looks similar to a barb. Barbs are jerks if not kept in a school

Yep, I turned out the light and both (I have two of the red ones) came out and started harassing my guppies, knocked one clean out when it swam
into the side of the tank trying to escape! I have removed them and everything else seems calmer now. We will see if any more have been attacked overnight I guess!

Thanks for the help on the ID!

����

If it is a barb they become docile in schools of 8 or 10. I had 5 tiger barbs and they killed my rainbow shark

Yeah they were hassling my rainbow shark too. They are sat in jail in a bag in the tank now, will take them down to the pet shop tomorrow and see if they can rehome them.

Everything is so much calmer now, nothing seems to be hiding!!

Back
Top Bottom