Something on Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got home today from work and noticed that my Xenia was not open as much as it usually is. I also found some spots on it that resemble mold to me. I did a water change yesterday(25gal in a 120gal) but everything checks out. I did the change to get my Ca. and Alk. back in balance, my Ca was at 520ppm and Alk was at 11.7dkh. Now its down to Ca 425ppm and Alk 8.1dkh, was it too drastic of a change? I've heard that water changes are the best way to get things back in balance.

Thanks,
Rich

acid_burn said:
Got home today from work and noticed that my Xenia was not open as much as it usually is. I also found some spots on it that resemble mold to me. I did a water change yesterday(25gal in a 120gal) but everything checks out.
It's very shaded, might need to post one with a flash or fix the white balance some. I cannot really see much except for some new buds on the stalk?

I did the change to get my Ca. and Alk. back in balance, my Ca was at 520ppm and Alk was at 11.7dkh. Now its down to Ca 425ppm and Alk 8.1dkh, was it too drastic of a change? I've heard that water changes are the best way to get things back in balance.
The new chem is much better but I wouldn't worry as much about the change you've indicated. Lowered Ca doesn't have much of an impact. Where most of any problems will occur when dealing with the chem is the change it causes in pH. Did you happen to check that?

Cheers
Steve

In the first pic the two stalks on the left and right sides are withering away now. Ph has been hovering around 8.3-8.4 within the last week.

Thanks,
Rich

i have found they can and will do that from time to time. but will come back fast. did you gte them a few days ago or mve them from there place?

Not really sure on the whole, I could be off base but it does look like the larger stalk is budding some. The faded area's almost look like they may have been burnt or torn. Possible growth spurt?

The two lower ones I'm guessing are the most affected? Any signs of brown "goo" or lost polyp tips?

What fish do you have and any sign of a nudibranc or snail that never been ID'd?

Cheers
Steve

i have found they can and will do that from time to time. but will come back fast. did you gte them a few days ago or mve them from there place?

I've had that xenia for about a month now, I moved it the other day during some maintenance. I've moved it before and never seen it do that before.

The two lower ones I'm guessing are the most affected? Any signs of brown "goo" or lost polyp tips?

What fish do you have and any sign of a nudibranc or snail that never been ID'd?

No signs of any goo but I did see a tip floating around today but couldnt tell if it was from that xenia or my other one. No nudi's that I am aware of, got some turbos and nassarius...a few others that are hitch hikers that I dont know thier names. Well i'll wait til tomorrow when I get home and post what I see...Thanks guy's :D

Thanks,
Rich

well i have found they will loss there tips but grow new oone on that stock. but when they drop the tipe a new one grows from that tip. that is how i have this coral all over the tank.

Back
Top Bottom