Sorry, another request for stocking guidance from a noobie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ousig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've cycled my 110 gal and will be starting the process on my 30 gal this weekend. I want to do an all male peacock tank in the big tank and use the 30 as needed. Based on my research, it seems it is best to add 5 - 8 new fish at a time. I'm thinking of rolling the dice and buying multiple unsexed juveniles based on cost until I can build my stock.

With this in mind, should I keep adding the 5 new species to the big tank and rehome females as needed or put in small tank until I find males and then only move them into big tank? Or, do I wait and only use the small tank when adding new fish after the fish in the big tank are fully grown? I assume I would accumulate males in small tank until I have 5 to add to big tank and repeat til big tank is stocked.

I hope these questions make sense but I understand if it sounds as if I'm babbling.

I can't wait to place my first order later this week!

Thanks for all the guidance and insight in advance...

Peace

I've cycled my 110 gal and will be starting the process on my 30 gal this weekend. I want to do an all male peacock tank in the big tank and use the 30 as needed. Based on my research, it seems it is best to add 5 - 8 new fish at a time. I'm thinking of rolling the dice and buying multiple unsexed juveniles based on cost until I can build my stock.

With this in mind, should I keep adding the 5 new species to the big tank and rehome females as needed or put in small tank until I find males and then only move them into big tank? Or, do I wait and only use the small tank when adding new fish after the fish in the big tank are fully grown? I assume I would accumulate males in small tank until I have 5 to add to big tank and repeat til big tank is stocked.

I hope these questions make sense but I understand if it sounds as if I'm babbling.

I can't wait to place my first order later this week!

Thanks for all the guidance and insight in advance...

Peace

Hi dude.

Catching the fish in the 110G is going to be hard, especially with them being juvis. The 30G could be used, but that means you will only be able to house 5 to 10 at a time and then there is the fact of waiting for the males to mature, which is going to take a good 6 months + in the 110 or 30. I personally would use the 30G as a quarantine tank, then after quarantining your stock add them to the 110 and when it comes to thinning them out, try catching the fish while doing a water change. This way you can add your first batch, quarantine them, add to main tank, order next batch etc..;)

You can add 5 or 8 at a time wait a couple of days than add more to the 110 you won't have problems until they start growing and than you will find what is what and who is who. Since your buying in bulk anyway you can just add them all in the new tank he first batch you buy or the only one depends how you buy them too

Are you saying it will take 6 months before I will know males vs females or that long to completely grow out?

Are you saying it will take 6 months before I will know males vs females or that long to completely grow out?

Depending on what size you buy them but usually 4 to 6 months and males will become more noticeable or you can vent them :) saves you time dude.

Depending on what size you buy them but usually 4 to 6 months and males will become more noticeable or you can vent them :) saves you time dude.

Ok, help me out...what do you mean by vent? I thought I had read where the females will always stay a brownish color. Can you tell females apart that are different species or will they all look alike?

My concern is I remove all my males and now I have a tank full of females. Will I be able to tell them apart so I can identify them when I take them to the LFS?

I appreciate the wisdom and guidance so keep it coming :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom