SOS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
General Rule of thumb for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish and ten gallons for each additional fish at a very bare minimum...single tail varieties (typically the ones won at fairs) require even more space to accommodate their size.

To the OP: good luck in cycling the tank, there are lots of great people here who know what they're talking about ;)
I would also agree with removing the pleco. Contrary to popular belief "algae eaters" aren't necessary for a tank, and produce an incredible amount of waste which is a lot more hazardous to the general well being of your livestock than algae if not properly take care of. 29g isn't exactly a big enough environment for the two of them at adult size considering the waste they produce and how big they get. Also temperature requirements for each fish may not be compatible.
Keep us posted!

My son won a gold fish at the fair and we put it in a 5 gallon tank. That was almost two years ago and the gold fish is huge. We also have black gold fish in the tank as well that is a year old. My daughter has a 5 gallon tank with two small gold fish as well. One was won at the fair and one was purchased roughly 8 months ago. Both are in great shape and getting big. Both tanks are fed at the same time each nigh with flakes and the fish will eat out of your hand. Both tanks are kits purchased from a local store. Small charcoal filter we change once a month. In the summer I do partial water changes every month and have never tested the parameters. In the winter the water evaporates really quick we we are constantly adding water. Goldfish are hardy and should be able thrive. I know eventually I will have to move the fish to a larger tank. I am currently cycling a 55 gallon for a community tank and will seed a smaller, maybe 20 gallon for the goldfish at some point.

GET THEM BIGGER TANKS!!!!! Goldies are NOT ment for a 5g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With Fancy Goldfish like Fantails they can often have swim bladder issues.
One of the easy ways to keep Fancies healthy is to NEVER feed floating foods.

With flake food ... Just pre soak the food in a little tank water. Or take that pinch of flakes and hold it under the water until you feel it soften.

Feed a defrosted, deshelled green pea weekly to prevent constipation. You can break it into pieces for your baby.

Not too much protein.

Fancies can have some live plants.

A good YouTube Channel is a user named Solid Gold. She takes great care of her Goldfish and has done a ton of research. She has some basic videos among her older stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom