South American Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to create a South American tank and was wondering what plants I could use that don't have many requirements and are easy to maintain. I'm a beginner at using live plants in my aquariums so I don't need anything to challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of light do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank would be a low light

Java fern, anubias, amazon swords, crypts will all do fine.

Okay so anubis is okay in a South American tank. I was under the impression it was only African

I'm not not sure, failed geography.. Google knows though!! I was just throwing out low light plants!

Haha, it's cool! Lol, those help too!

Does anyone know if anubis grows in any of the South American rivers? Google only mentions Africa, but it also said it grows well in fast moving rivers so I was wondering if it was in the amazon. Their are also some places in South American called anubis so I was wondering if there was a correlation.

Brookster was just posting low light plants. I'm not sure which actually come from SA. I know swords are.

It may be hard to find origins of plants. What id say to do is find detailed plant information online. Some may include the origin. The oher option would be to go on youtube. I have seen before videos of people going down there to collect fish and plants. Lots of the time they film underwater and collect plants as well.

You could also send dustin from dustins fish tanks an email. He went to peru to collect fish and might be able to tell you what he found when he was there

You could also send dustin from dustins fish tanks an email. He went to peru to collect fish and might be able to tell you what he found when he was there

Awesome, thank you! I may send him an email when I get a chance!

Also do a search on google, AA, and ThePlantedTank (TPT) for "Amazon river biotope" and you'll get lots of great builds and examples.

Also do a search on google, AA, and ThePlantedTank (TPT) for "Amazon river biotope" and you'll get lots of great builds and examples.

Okay great, I'll give that a shot, I think the specific biotope tanks are super cool

Yup I love biotope tanks! Specific asian biotopes are awesome too. Tons of crypts, barbs, gouramis, etc.

Crypts are asian, as is Java Fern.

Good, low-to-moderate light South American plants:

Dwarf Hairgrass
Willow Moss
Brazilian Pennywort
Dwarf Bacopa
Anacharis/Elodea
Western Milfoil
Ozelot Amazon Sword
Tape Grass/Val
Hornwort
Amazon Frogbit

Crypts are asian, as is Java Fern.

Good, low-to-moderate light South American plants:

Dwarf Hairgrass

Willow Moss

Brazilian Pennywort

Dwarf Bacopa

Anacharis/Elodea

Western Milfoil

Ozelot Amazon Sword

Tape Grass/Val

Hornwort

Amazon Frogbit

Good suggestions! DHG is not low-medium light though.

Back
Top Bottom