South American Puffer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i recently saw a post on SAPs in this forum and am interested in possibly keeping one. I had originall planned to keep DPs but i have not yet been able to find them. I know that finding a SAP will not be easier. The tank i am thinking of is a 12 gallon eclipse. Would this work out? There would be only that 1 fish in the tank.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS

Can't help on the SAP, but I think Dwarf Puffers are mostly available in the springtime, if you would still want one then. I planning to be getting some more myself.

I think a SA puffer in a 12gal would be fine.

PM Pufferpunk (if she does not happen by this thread) as she is an amazing resource for all things puffer!

As you may have read in other threads I have posted about them (I can't stress it enough) be prepared to have to hand-trim their teeth every 4-6 months, unless you can supply daily snail feedings for them. There is more info about that & SAPs in general in the other thread about them in this forum.

Yes i have read about the teeth trimming and am up for the task. In terms of feeding, besides snails, what is a good food i should feed it? Also i have been looking online for a place to get one, i found this place, http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/brackish_water/brackish.htm#puffer

The shipping there i think is about $25. Does anyone know of a better place to get them? I am pretty sure i wont be able to find them here.
THANKS

The advantage to living in a large city like Chicago, is the number of LFS that carry puffers. I have bought all my puffers locally, except my red Congo, which I won on Aquabid.

Ok, did you check out the site i posted above? Do you think that would be a good place to get it? Or do you know of a better place?

THANKS

I would definitely look into Aquabid. I have gotten some very nice fish this way from reputable breeders and collectors.

I haven't purchased anything from AquaBid yet, but I have been watching it for a couple of months or so, and I've noticed that they often get things in that they didn't have the other day. I'd keep watching it. Sometimes they have fairly rare things.

Mine love bloodworms, eat flakes and have a daily supply of snails to munch on. I have been lucky enough to find mine locally at my LFS. I have found that at leat two of the little guys do better than just one alone, they enjoy eachothers company.

Back
Top Bottom