South American tank setup advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wrone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, first post on this forum and am wondering if I can pick the brains of those more experienced than me.

Working on the set up of a South American type tank. Starting with 55gal with plans for heavy live plantings. Tap H2O has pH of 7.8 with kH of 3 per testing last night. I will have a couple of driftwood pieces plus separate areas set up with caves/cover. My biggest question is stocking. I've been doing research and have found quite a bit of vague/inconsistent info. At this point I would like to have a community tank including some appropriate cichlid species...primarily considering Angels/dwarf-cichlids. The current population in my head consists of...

Angel x 1 or 2
Apisto sp vs Bolivian Rams or Blue Rams x 2-4
Cory sp x 6-8
School of dither-type fish...Rasboras x 8-12
Small pleco...Brushy nose or bulldog

What I'm having trouble finding out is how the bottom dwellers will coexist. Also how many of the cichlids do I need for harmony? The Rams I can easily obtain from my LFS but an Apistos will be ordered elsewhere. Rams would be juvies so unsexed. I'll be doing weekly 50% H2O changes due to my plant fertilization plans so quality shouldn't be an issue. Will likely keep tank temp 78degrees (need to check the pleco temp requirements).

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated :)

Welcome to AA.

I would'nt think the rams would bother the cories. The only time I would think it may be an issue is when the rams/apisto's are breeding but even then I don't for see any damage being done to the cories.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when it's done.

Just found some pics of both red and orange lasers. Great recommendation and would look sweet against my black substrate. Now just to find them in stock somewhere when my tank is fish ready...

Hn1 and severum mama sell them at their store in Atlanta, but they ship cross U.S.

I live in Birmingham so just a short drive for me to check out their store. Where's it located or do they have a website?

Back
Top Bottom