southdown sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've heard this type of sand as a good source for a DSB in reef aquariums for its cheapness, and grain size, i was wondering what other benefits does it offer and where can i get some info on it. TIA

It is aragonite based so it helps to maintain your alkalinity levels as it dissolves (slowly). For more info, do a search on this site for "southdown sand". I expect you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about it :mrgreen: . It is typically sold by Home Depot in the northeastern US...not usually available in other areas. I'm not sure about Illinois though.

One of it's biggest benefits is usually overlooked. It's Oolitic (egg shaped). There are no jagged edges to the grains so they pack looser and sand bed infauna can crawl through it easier.

I have over 3000 pounds of it in my system.

look on the chicago forum page there a guy that sells it !! goot luck at home depot !! he in wheaton il !!
if your way way south and looking for sand before ya buy and put into tank do the vinegar test on it !! if it fizzles its good !! try it on some crushed coral ya hear what i talkin about

lol geee thanks hehehe im at work and trying to get my stuff done and play at same time but ya knew what i mean !! lolol i usually us it but spaced it heheheh and didnt even reread it which i normally do hehehe that is bad lololol

...Which is why I tell people to use dry sand when they first lay down their DSB as the major layer and then dump a few bags of bagged (wet) live sand on top of it as a stabilizing layer.

Dry sand such as playsand or straight ooltic while be a mess for *weeks* if not a month or two after fresh tank is set up.

i have set up 2 tanks with playsand so far and both have been clear after about 3 to 4 days i refuse to buy bagged live sand as it seems to me a total rip off as with any other sand that is sold strictly for aquarium use....i will not pay 30 dollars a bag when i set up my entire DSB for 16 dollars....

Live sand *is* a ripoff in terms of it's marketing in a biological sense. It's only real benefit is it's very stable upon adding to water.

i have set up 2 tanks with playsand so far and both have been clear after about 3 to 4 days

Which about how long it takes for your tank to clear if one your power heads suddenly get dislodged. Personally I don't care for my LR, impellars and tank surfaces to get a constant coating of white sludge every time the tank is distubed, and don't mind spending an extra $20 or so for the LS to add on top the of the dry sand. The faster a new tank settles the sooner you can add fish and get the show on the road.

Ok but you also have to wait for the tank to cycle which will give the sand plenty of time to get algae and other things growing in it which will keep it from stirring up so easily

Back
Top Bottom