spawn mops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just wondering if anyone has made them themselves and how they do it?

I don't have any egg layers that necessarily need the mop, but I figured having one in my endler tank would make them feel more safe and get them to drop their fry since they would have a decent place to hide then.

I dont really know much about them, have just seen pictures of them here and there and it got my interest peaked.

Now, does anyone know how to make them? Is there a good website link that might have good easy-to-follow directions on it for me?

Thanks!

Get a small book, wrap synthetic yarn around it(the more times the bigger the mop). Take another (short) piece and slip it under the wraps on the side you would open the book. Tie this second piece up around the wraps, and cut the yarn along the spine. You now have a spawning mop.

I've made, and used them when my senegal bichir spawned. There are various sites like fishgeeks.com, pond gardens just to name a few. Diy spawning mop on youtube. They are very simple to make, be aware that some fabrics leach dye. I boiled material, and rinsed until no more dye appeared. Forest Green was what worked for me:)

Thanks billd!
Sounds really simple! I thought it would be just wasn't sure of how it's done.
Looks like I'll be making a trip to the craft store tomorrow!

Now, what is the best way to get these to float? I've seen them tied to ping pong looking balls and tennis balls...but don't know what would have enough buoyancy to keep them floating? I know a tennis ball would probably be the best choice, but I'm worried about the adhesive on them that holds the felt to the ball.

I guess I'll keep my eye out during my shipping trip.

Back
Top Bottom