Spawning Brichardi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joonburg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Brichardi are spawning since I bought ceramic cichlid caves. Is there anything I need to do to protect the fry?

I would try to isolate the fry if possible. Or get some fake plants that they can use for shelter but theres a good shot they will get eaten if u dont separate them :-/

I am also breeding birchardi and from what I have gotten out of it the first litter will probly die.....(mine did) but form what I got it's "bad parenting" and the advice I have gotten is that they are community breeders and the you get fry are used to help raise the younger fry

I have a whole thread to this if you want anymore info

The info I got Howdy.

A 20 gallon long is fine for a mated pair of any of the small to mid-sized Neolamprologus species, such as your brichardi, buescheri, or caudopunk, or for a mated pair of Julidochromis. These are substrate spawners that form solid breeding pairs, unlike Lake Malawi mbuna which need harems for successful breeding. It will also work for a small group of 6 or 8 shell-dwelling cichlids, such as multies. Larger Neolamprologus species, such as N. tretocephalus, N. sexfasciatus and N. tetracanthus (which all can exceed 6") need a 40 breeder or larger for a pair. I'd also recommend a 40 breeder for a pair of calvus. One thing to remember if ya want to breed the N. brichardi, they form community breeding groups. As fry mature, the older juvies stick around and help the parents raise the next batch of young. My last breeding pair of brichardi and their offspring had an entire 55 gallon tank to themselves.

A 20 L is too small for an extended community of Tangs. Ya really need to invest in a 55 gallon tank or larger. The calvus can potentially reach 6", and 4 1/2" to 5" is pretty much a given. Not sure which species yer referring to as a highfin synodontis, but I suspect its either S. euptera or S. alberti . Both can reach 8" and will become too large for that tank, as well.

I watched the video, but there's a coupla issues with the request to determine sexes. First, the fish ya currently have look too small to sex, even by venting. Second, the species you have do not show extreme sexual dimorphism. There is little visible difference between the sexes, if any. In order to successfully determine the sex, you'll need to vent the fish (turn 'em over and look at their nether regions).

WYite

LOL, 'tis an honor to be quoted. :)

Brichardis make very good parents. Any young that aren't removed stick around to help the parents raise the next bunch. Once ya start gettin' fry, you'll be better off lettin' the parents raise them until they start venturin' around the tank, then remove any ya want to get rid of when they aren't under an intense watch from the parents. With most substrate spawning cichlids, I've always had higher survival rates from lettin' the parents raise the fry to a decent size versus removin' the eggs or young fry and raisin' them myself.

WYite

Wyomingite said:
LOL, 'tis an honor to be quoted. :)

Brichardis make very good parents. Any young that aren't removed stick around to help the parents raise the next bunch. Once ya start gettin' fry, you'll be better off lettin' the parents raise them until they start venturin' around the tank, then remove any ya want to get rid of when they aren't under an intense watch from the parents. With most substrate spawning cichlids, I've always had higher survival rates from lettin' the parents raise the fry to a decent size versus removin' the eggs or young fry and raisin' them myself.

WYite

WYite your awesome!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom