Special situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonysss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to get an aquarium and I think I know the bare minimums to get it started. However I have only 1 week exactly before I have to leave for a one month vacation. Is it feasible for me to get started and if so what should I purchase? I have a ton of work right after vacation so I want to take the time to lay the foundation right now for the aquarium. The size of the aquarium is optimally 4 x 3 x 2 feet and I'm willing to purchase auto feeders and whatever the necessary equipment are. Thank you for your help!

That would be the worst start you could ever make at this hobby. You'll learn impulsive decisions are usually followed by regret.. you'd be best to wait on everything.. research as much as you can before you buy anything.. you can ask us about products and tanks and lights and fish first and save yourself a whole lot of money and trouble. Trust me and my pile of expensive crap ill never use under my tank stand...you'll want to read up on cycling your tank first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually I'd guess if you got it setup without fish and did a fishless cycle then that'd give the tank time to cycle properly while you were away.

Someone more experienced than me will need to pipe in here though because I'm not positive.

I would definitely not !!! Take the time while on vacation to get all the reading done you possibly can. Relax and don't rush it. You'll get farther in the end and spend less on mistakes.

The tank and such can be purchased before hand but I wouldn't start anything until you've gotten back. Look into fish less cycling. Again tho, don't start that til after either since you'll have to check parameters every day and add ammonia as necessary. I agree with above answers about doing your research on everything from hardware, decor/substrate and especially livestock.

Agreed -- the best thing you can do is research and read as much as possible while you're gone. The stickies at the top of this subforum is a great place to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the tank :D

Definitely DO NOT start cycling the tank until you get back. That gives you plenty of time to do research and plan the tank out before you dive in head first and regret it. There will be plenty of time for trial and error later down the road, trust me. Use this time to learn what you need to know... Nitrogen cycle, fish-in vs fishless cycling, what fish you want, will they get along, do you want live plants, what would be the best substrate for both your fish and/or plants, the list goes on. I can guarantee we have all made mistakes with our tank and I can also guarantee you are going to make some of your own, so you might as well be patient for now to limit the number of mistakes you make.

My tank has been up and running for a little over 2 months now and the links in that thread helped me A TON!!! I referred to "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" many times while I was cycling my tank. I actually made it a desktop shortcut for easy access because I checkd it so much to make sure I was on the right track. The other links also have some great info to get you on the right track.

If you are thinking about using live plants in your tank I HIGHLY suggest looking into the different substrates for planted tanks. I used Petsmart aquarium gravel at first and my plants weren't very happy with it. I made the switch to Eco-Complete 2 days ago and let me tell you, its a pain in the neck changing the substrate out after the tank is already set up with fish and all compared to just doing it right the first time. Not to mention the savings in $$$ from just buying the right stuff the first time around.

Thank you!

Thank you everybody for your input. I will put it off until I get back. I love the community here :)

Yeah, research ... Watch the forums to see what problems people come up with and take a book with you on vacation. My favorite is The simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by Baruchowitz, it's old so it doesn't discuss fishless cycling but it introduces concepts like osmotic stress that other more recent beginner books skip. It also has some foolproof stocking schemes for a few tank sizes.

What is your budget and space and desire for the equipment? I wanted a lower priced 29 but not too cheap and love the Marineland LED 29 gallon kit I got from PetSmart, it's on sale for $120 about once every 6 weeks. They're heavily promoting their new Nat Geo line right now but if you get those you won't be able to customize or replace parts easily ( they are non standard sizes).

You might also be intersted in looking at "el natural" planted tanks, The Barr Report, and dry start method if you're curious about plants and super low maintenance tanks. I wish I'd known about those awhile ago.

Starting from scratch a fishless cycle is a month long process on average. There is absolutely no harm in setting the tank up, filling it with water, getting the equipment running, and adding some ammonia to the tank. Or better yet a shrimp in a nylon stocking.

That will get the process started for you so you don't have as long of a wait to finish a fishless cycle.

You don't even need decorations, light, or substrate, just a tank of water, filter, and preferrably a heater.

It's just the size of the tank at 4 x 3 x 2 I think and the month away. I thought about starting a cycle but it's a lot to get done and then leaving it running for a month. I know, I know - it all should work but ....

I found the gravel cleaning the worse as I had 30 or 50 kilos of gravel (memory has gone dim). Cleaned it, still made a mess in the tank and filters.

I've got to agree with Dela here about the shear volume we're talking. 4x3x2 is roughly 180 gallons. Even if there was somebody that could come by every couple days to open the door and look, that's tons of water I wouldn't want to leave someone responsible for that has less of a clue about tanks. We haven't heard mention of canister vs sump filtration and the op is still looking for ideas from what is understood in first post. Electrical failure, plumbing failure, etc ...... My best advice to "willing to purchase whatever necessary" is a good homeowners insurance policy first lol.

Starting from scratch a fishless cycle is a month long process on average. There is absolutely no harm in setting the tank up, filling it with water, getting the equipment running, and adding some ammonia to the tank. Or better yet a shrimp in a nylon stocking.

That will get the process started for you so you don't have as long of a wait to finish a fishless cycle.

You don't even need decorations, light, or substrate, just a tank of water, filter, and preferrably a heater.

+1 it's really not as difficult as people are making out. I admit it would probably be BETTER for you to see the cycle throughout but there is absolutely nothing wrong with going ahead and starting the cycle beforehand. (Fishless of course)

In fact..it will probably be a less problematic cycle as you won't be there to get frustrated with it and tinker too much.

Just add 4ppm ammonia every couple of days during the week before you go. Then do a 50% water change the day before you leave and dose one more 4ppm ammonia. The water change will help stop the cycle crashing. You can add some baking soda too for extra protection. The cycle will run through to the nitrate phase. When you return you should have 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and a big reading of nitrates. Just do a water change when you get back and in theory you should be ready to go..

Yea im with Mebbid and Caliban. Fishless cycling can be started whilst your away.

I also wouldn't worry about your tank failing whilst your away. This potentially could happen to any one of us at anytime. Thats what guarantees and insurance is for

But (I say), if the OP did post first asking if a 4 x 3 x 2 is ok, we could post back suggesting this is in fact waaay too small and a 6 footer should be considered. I mean assuming the floor can take it and the budget, that's what I wish I had done (sigh). And once it's there, the darn thing can't be readily shifted (volunteers are short on the ground :( ).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401593873.434139.jpg

Quick update- I've got a few more days before vacation but I managed to get a fishless tank set up. My two cents regarding first time aquarium purchase would be to Craigslist it. I bought my 55 gallon for 220 dollars with stand, lights, filter with extra cartridges, heater, ph test kit, declorinator, fish net, thermometer, etc and free delivery :) and it all works perfectly.

Anyways thanks again everyone and I'll go but the ammonium tomorrow as well as some pool sand for substrate and just let the baby run.

Btw quick question- would someone be able to recommend me a quiet filtration system because it's in my bedroom/is it ok to turn filtration off at night?

Back
Top Bottom