Species only tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
So im thinking of setting up a species only tank but was wondering a few things.
Petsmart has the 60 gallon tank hood and stand on sale but my concern is the tank is only 13" wide. My main tank is a 75 and i like the with on it at 18".
Would the with on the 60 limit what fish i can keep.
also can you do 2 species m to recomended f ratio. What does every one think and if it will work what 2 or 1 species do you recomend. Thanks.
Also i guess its an option to wait and do another 75.

I'm really confused about exactly what you're asking. If you're wanting to go a single large fish (wet pet) or pairs/trios of fish I would recommend a 90 or 120 stout ( 4x2x2). The 60 is going to limit you to fish 5" and under IMO, what type of cichlids interest you?

I'm assumin' ya mean mbuna? Ya could do two of the medium species in a 60 without issue. I'd stay away from larger ones like bumblebees and acei, as well as hyperaggressive mbuna like kenyi and the various Melanochromis sp.

WYite

Well at least a male and 3 or 4 females But was thinking 2 species wood be cool. The 60 is basicly a taller 55 48"x13"x23. I see a lot of people on here with 55s set up as mbuna tanks but i was thinking of doing and agressive species tank that would start as juvies. Something like the green terror or ???? Im not sure. But again like you said is the with on the 60 just too small unless i stay under 5" on full size.

I'm assumin' ya mean mbuna? Ya could do two of the medium species in a 60 without issue. I'd stay away from larger ones like bumblebees and acei, as well as hyperaggressive mbuna like kenyi and the various Melanochromis sp.

WYite
mbuna Sorry doing a water change as im typing (not smart) But its just an idea in tossing around.

Well adding two spieces is no longer a species only tank. A pair of green terrors would need a larger tank.

If you are sticking with the 60 you'd be limited to dwarf South/ Central American cichlids or breeding groups of smaller Mbuna or peacocks.

What is your goal by setting up this tank? Breeding or just something nice to look at?

Well adding two spieces is no longer a species only tank. A pair of green terrors would need a larger tank.

If you are sticking with the 60 you'd be limited to dwarf South/ Central American cichlids or breeding groups of smaller Mbuna or peacocks.

What is your goal by setting up this tank? Breeding or just something nice to look at?
Well I was not realy thinking of breeding but that would be ok. Maybe i should wait another week and just do another 75 or even a 110. I just see other cichlids that i like but know they are too agressive to go with other cichlids.
I think you may have answered my question on the 60 Kinda an odd size and even on sale i think i may have buyers remorse if i get it. I guess im kinda undecided on the species. But like the red devil or the texas are a couple examples. Just trying to research and not jump in to something.

90 gallon or 5' 100 gallon would be great for groups of Mbuna/Peacocks. 120 stout is a good footprint for pairs of the larger aggressive central/ south americans.

My motto is buy a tank to fit the fish, not buy a fish to fit the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom