Specific Gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamers442

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just accidently put to much salt in my Aquarium i have fish and a few soft Corals the lvl was at 1.024 now its at 1.027 will this be ok as i have no fresh water until tomorrow, pls help

We're you adding raw salt? That's a no-no as it can cause problems. Mix your saltwater first and test before adding. If you haven't harmed them yet, they should be okay. Back the salinity down slowly over a couple of days.

We're you adding raw salt? That's a no-no as it can cause problems. Mix your saltwater first and test before adding. If you haven't harmed them yet, they should be okay. Back the salinity down slowly over a couple of days.

No i had it mixed since yesterday but when i tested it in the bucket it read 1.018 so i added a bit more and checked about 10mins later and it read 1.025, thought fine added to tank and done a final check about an hour later which read 1.027 and still does. Everything seems fine at the min.

No i had it mixed since yesterday but when i tested it in the bucket it read 1.018 so i added a bit more and checked about 10mins later and it read 1.025, thought fine added to tank and done a final check about an hour later which read 1.027 and still does. Everything seems fine at the min.

That's why letting it sit a while is recommended. That undissolved salt can cause burns to corals.

You don't have an auto top off fresh water? You can remove some water from tank and gradually add that fresh water. If none then just have your fingers crossed lol

That's why letting it sit a while is recommended. That undissolved salt can cause burns to corals.

I added the normal amout of salt to the bucket of water last night what ive done several times before and couldnt understand that it only read 1.018 today before i put it in so i only added a little bit more

Just reading this thread. What's an auto top up of water?

Yes. When the water evaporates, the salt stays, increasing the salinity. You need to add straight RO water to counteract that.

An auto top off is a reservoir of RODI water hooked up to a float switch and a pump. When the water in the return section of the sump gets to a certain point it automatically adds water to your tank.

Sorry does water go through the auto top off from the tap or does it need to go via ro unit

An auto top off is a reservoir of RODI water hooked up to a float switch and a pump. When the water in the return section of the sump gets to a certain point it automatically adds water to your tank.

Cool stuff

Back
Top Bottom