Speed up cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a un filtered betta tank. I plan on upgrading in a month or so so don't get mad at me! Any ways, I have a fake plant and small bridge. Been in there bout 3 months. Would addin g those two to a new 29 gallon tank speed up cycling?

Anything can help but don't expect miracles. Just don't clean them before you put them in, other than to shake off any debris, and don't them let dry out.

Thanks, how fast would adding those 2 help? And also, can I cycle with cherry barbs?

They wouldn't do much to help cycling. They might help some but it wouldn't be too much to make a difference. Filter media would help more if you can get your hands on some, or even some gravel from an established tank that you can put in your filter or near the filter intake tube. You can cycle with fish but it will take a lot of dedication. Read this guide which explains cycling and the pros and cons of the two methods: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I appreciate the link! And I have this bowl, would any of the things help?

Attachments

• image-530683140.jpg
    image-530683140.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 30
Is that gravel on the bottom? If so put it into a mesh media bag (most fish stores sell them) and put it into your filter when you get it if you can fit it; if not, place it directly under the filter intake. That should add some bacteria to the filter to help seed it. It won't instantly cycle it but at least it's something.

CharlieKlein said:
Yeah it's the substrate!how long woul the cycle tank then? A few weeks?

No one know how long it may take. It depends how you dedicated you are

If you can't get gravel or used media, it can take 6 weeks or as little as 3 weeks. Where are you located maybe there is a member near by that can give you some. or you could use an angel sponge here is the link.

Aquarium Sponge Filters

go to the link and scroll down...you'll see active sponges and they come all preloaded with bacteria. Then pop them in your tank, I'd get a large one. Then follow the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom