Speeding up cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iuman1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experiences with products like StressZyme which are supposed to contain live bacteria to speed up the cycling process? Any recommendations?

The general consensus I believe is that nothing besides Bio Spira works as advertised. I personally cycle the old fashioned way so I have no personal experience but there have been several previous threads on this subject and that is generally what people say.

I talked to the LFS owner and he said StressZyme would cut off a week, and keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down, but he usually does it the old school way.

It might speed it up a bit but it will defintely not keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down.

You can definitely speed up a cycle with seed material, like gravel or a decoration from a mature tank. You can also do this with filter media or a biowheel borrowed from an established tank. This way you are bringing over bacteria to the new tank, just like what you do with Bio-Spira.

I have not tried biro spira, but have used a variety of other cycle products. In my experience the only thing they reduce is your wallet. The best way to speed the cycle is to use gravel or a filter from a cycled tank. You can put the gravel in a plastic container and submerge it in your tank without mixing substrate.

I'v seen that Peroxide speeds it up some, but i wouldnt reccomed it, because i dont know what it would do to your fish. I have used it and it didnt effect my tank any. It is supposed to be like putting in liquid oxygen and it makes the good bacterica move quicker. I used Hagen Cycle, which i think works pretty well after it is well in there. Once you put it in weekly for about 4 weeks your tank is on cruise control. After putting it in for 14 months i stopped for 2 months and my nitrates and ammonia ect stayed zero. I have a cascade filter and i dont use the bio filter in there, because it gets slimy easy. It was leaking after like a year, so i got a new one and my tank is still fine. I did get ick last year, but that is beause i dont have a heater.

Back
Top Bottom