Splash guard or NO splash guard.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
.... That is the question. I'm trying to decide if a splash guard is required for a T5 light fixture. This fixture will be placed above my tank with legs but will NOT have a glass canopy. I will have an open top tank. Any experience either way? Not sure if it's a safety hazard or if the condensation above the tank will ruin the fixture.

Thanks!

I would add one just in case! I have a T5 on my tank with a guard, AND the tank has a glass canopy, and some how, I still see splash marks on the splash guard!

I'd be safe rather then sorry!

Evilbass said:
I would add one just in case! I have a T5 on my tank with a guard, AND the tank has a glass canopy, and some how, I still see splash marks on the splash guard!

I'd be safe rather then sorry!

Yea I'm really nervous for safety reasons! Do you think the guard cuts down on much of your light?

It's not a good idea to run without a splash guard for the reasons mentioned. The moisture and splashing water is likely to cause corrosion issues or premature wear/tear on the fixture. I have run some grow light fixtures over tanks, though, and they don't have any kind of splash guard on them at all. One thing about them is that I keep them up several inches off the top of the tank so that they do not get splashed on at all.

jetajockey said:
It's not a good idea to run without a splash guard for the reasons mentioned. The moisture and splashing water is likely to cause corrosion issues or premature wear/tear on the fixture. I have run some grow light fixtures over tanks, though, and they don't have any kind of splash guard on them at all. One thing about them is that I keep them up several inches off the top of the tank so that they do not get splashed on at all.

Thanks Jeta. This fixture would sit about 3 to 4 inches above my tank, not sure if thats far enough above the tank? I see what the moisture currently does to my glass canopy (I have to razor blade the build up off). I would hate to spend money on the fixture and ruin the inside of it!

Evilbass said:
Joey, My cover is clear, I dont notice any kind of "cut down" at all...

Thanks Evil, I think I will go with the splash guard, it's probably in my best interests. I think I would end up worrying about it too much if I didn't haha.

Depending on the bulbs and/or fixture if cool(er) tank water splashes on a hot bulb it can shatter into the tank. Besides the obvious corrosion/mold/shorting issues this is one of the more dangerous, and often overlooked, aspects of covering a tank.

meegosh said:
Depending on the bulbs and/or fixture if cool(er) tank water splashes on a hot bulb it can shatter into the tank. Besides the obvious corrosion/mold/shorting issues this is one of the more dangerous, and often overlooked, aspects of covering a tank.

This is very true I didn't even think about that. With my luck something like that would definitely happen!

Back
Top Bottom