split fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i have an albino tiger barb with a split back fin. It has been like this for quite a while, and i have tried quick cure, but it hasnt dont anything. Any advice on what to treat with, or should i just wait for it to heal on its own?[/b]

well, he hasnt been bullied too much. My red tail shark does chace him around a little bit, but it doesnt seem like he gets them. (he chases all 6 of my barbs, but none of the other ones show signs of bully.) and he is acting pretty normal.

Quick cure is really not a great choice for split fins (as you've noticed LOL).

If the fin has not gotten worse, and has no white edges to it, I'd try Melafix.

If the fin does have white edges, or has gotten worse, you'll have to use something stronger. Try a broad spectrum antibiotic like tetracycline.

Also, keep in mind that unless it is a bacterial or fungal infection, most fin injuries will go away on their own. However, any injury that goes unhealed is open for bacterial or fungal growth, increasing the chances of more serious illnesses. The suggestion to go with Melafix is a good one. Melafix contains natural ingredients and is excellent for superficial fin and skin injuries such as you describe, without destroying your bacterial bed.

Back
Top Bottom