Split from DSB thread (what now do I do now?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I see that I started a big mess here!

Well its been 4 days and my water is getting pretty good. I can actually see through it. I added 7lbs of LS. I will probably add some more. How do I know if there is anything living in it? Are you supposed to see critters? They water the gave me was very dirty. I drained it from the bag before I put it in the tank.

Also what are good inverts. to buy to clean the sand. Right now I have about 7 hermit crabs. The seem to like this sand already. Can I buy A starfish?

What is a good anemone for a percula and a sebae clownfish. I don't want to get another sebae. I didn't know they were hard to take care of. I lost this one when it was in the cooler. I have a condy right now and it is doing great, but I want to have somthing that my fish can host.

I added 7lbs of LS. I will probably add some more. How do I know if there is anything living in it? Are you supposed to see critters?
You don't need to add anymore LS. Good quality LR will contain a lot of critters that will migrate to the sand in a few weeks. Whether there were critters in your purchased LS depends. If it came from an established tank it probably does. You will begin to see worm trails in a week or two. You should begin to see gas bubbles against the glass in a few more weeks.

Also what are good inverts. to buy to clean the sand. Right now I have about 7 hermit crabs. The seem to like this sand already. Can I buy A starfish?
None. You don't want inverts who "clean the sand". By cleaning the sand they are consuming (eating) your sand infauna. A few stars will be OK, most are not. The presence of detrivores will be enough to keep your DSB "clean" and functioning.

What is a good anemone for a percula and a sebae clownfish. I don't want to get another sebae. I didn't know they were hard to take care of. I lost this one when it was in the cooler. I have a condy right now and it is doing great, but I want to have somthing that my fish can host.
I can't recommend any anemone from the ocean. They simply live too long in the wild only to have then die a short time after being removed from the ocean. Upwards of 90% don't last longer than 3 months in the aquarium. If you must have one, buy a tank raised (cloned) Entacmaea quadricolor (Bubble tip). A better alternative is to try some frogspawn or a large hairy mushroom to host a clown fish (the anemone hosts the clown, the clown does not host the anemone). These are easily tank raised and so having one doesn't impact the world's reefs. Anemones are notoriously difficult to keep, Mushrooms and corals will grow and even multiply in a reef tank.

Source for tank raised bubble tips: http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/anemones/

Mark

anemones

Skip,
It's best to wait until your tank is well established to add an anemone. I would think a year anyway before adding one. I agree with Mark 100% about taking anemones from the ocean. Go with a tank raised variety. Embarrassed to say that I don't remember what kind of lighting system you have :oops: , but most anemones are photosynthetic and have very high light requirements.
Logan J

To echo what others have said, your clown doesn't need an anemone at all. Aside from what has already been suggested, you can also try a featherduster....yes, that's right a featherduster. One of the large ones. My clown has been hosting in it for a couple of months now, and there seems to be no harm to the duster at all. I also have a domino in another tank that is hosting in a duster in there. I've also read of others having the same experience.

I would suggest though, that you wait until your tank is cycled before adding a featherduster.

How much of a difference did you find in your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? I'm curious what kind of impact this change had on your tank since it was still in the cycling stage when you started out.

I will be checking my levels tonight. Its only been 4 days with the new sand. I will post my results this weekend.

How will I know if my tank is cycled?

Your tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite read 0. Nitrates can vary with the bio-load in the tank, but generally should be at or below 20.

If they are normal output flouresents, I am sorry to say that you dont have enough lighting for anenomes. The condylactis might be ok. I would venture to say with the problems youve had lately that you might want to wait a month or so to let everything stabalize. I know its hard to wait, but nothing good comes from being in a hurry adding livestock in a saltwater tank. You have to be patient, as painful as it may seem, you will have much less heart ache in the long run. You will save money, and save your fishes lives. :)

That's what I'm doing. Not sure about the lights. I've just returned from buying some more LR. I will invest in this until I have enough.

How important is a protein skimmer?

A protien skimmer is a must. IN MY OPINION. It rapidly removes waste out of the water. Thus, helping to eliminate nitrate, rite, and ammonia problems in the future. I wouldnt set up a tank without at least 1 lbs of lr per gallon and a protien skimmer. Remember thats just my opinion.

Also if your on a budget, check out sea clone protien skimmers @ www.petwarehouse.com

I own one, I feel it is the best skimmer for someone on a smaller budget.

Given what's in the tank right now, I'd say a lighting upgrade is the top priority for this tank. A protein skimmer can wait, in fact there are many successful reef tanks that do NOT use a protein skimmer. Water changes will suffice for maintaining water quality. If the lighting is not upgraded, the remaining anemone will likely die soon. The LR will also do much better with improved lighting as far as diversity of life.

Mark

When a anemone lives in the ocean how deep of water are they in. I can't figure out why lighting is so important. If they are in 5 feet of water how much light can they possibly be getting.

Since I know nothing about lighting what do I need to get. I just spent $60 on bulbs at the lfs. The condy I bought is in way better lighting conditions now than it was, and he had these at the store for awhile. The condy is now hosting my sebae clown.

I've been checking out the seaclone 100 skimmer. Petsmart has them online for $80 and the LFS has them for $100. Wasn't sure if they were good.

It's been 4 1/2 days and my water is just now getting clear. I do have alot of dust on the bottom.

I am going to post some pics.

There are also some really nice corals that fish will take to. But again, your lighting would most likely have to be more than what you have at the moment. My clowns didn't care for my bubble tip anemone, but they loved the pulsing xenia. :)

The sun is its most intense in the tropics where these are most prevelent. It is very hard to match the intensity of the sun with artifical lights.

Aneneomes usually do not die a quick death but more often than not die a slow death of starvation.

My percula's were living in my Anchor Coral before my tank sprung a leak.
They were very happy with this coral. My perculas would'nt even look at my Seabae Anenome. I would be very careful with Anenome's I guess what I have read about Anenome's in this site, I have been very lucky to have raised a Seabae and a Pacific Anenome for over two years now.

My maroon clowns really like my anchor coral too. They also "flirt" with my pulsing xenia sometime. They feed the anchor, and try to feed the xenia some times. Im like, duh, you clowns, it dont have a mouth!! :p

Back
Top Bottom