Splitting Anubias Barteri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am considering either doing a major overhaul or upgrading to a larger tank and was wondering if it is possible to split the Anubias Barteri that have grown a few inches over the last couple years into multiple plants by cutting the base (I forget the correct term) in half, etc.

You can split the rhizome as long as both halves will be at least 2" long and have healthy roots and leaves. Make sure to use a VERY sharp knife so that you get a clean cut.

i make sure there is at least 4 leafs per cutting. i also use a razor blade to cut them.

Yeah just split at the rhizome and make sure every cutting also has some roots to it. I made the mistake in ripping instead of cutting and I almost killed some of my plants.

So yeah, cut with a very sharp knife, make sure you can leave lots of roots at the end of each cutting. I normally wash off the cuttings after placing them back into the tank. A lot of the times I get little things on the plants like hair or other stuff so I wash them off.

Back
Top Bottom