Splitting Marimo Moss Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just split my Marimo and i rolled the two parts into a ball and loosly tied them with sewing string to make sure that they stay together. This is the first time i have tried doing that, Is there anything else i need to do to make sure the two parts survive, or will they be fine just leaving them alone? Also my Dwarf Gourami likes to nip at the moss ball and pull small pieces off every now and then, will that be a problem with the newly split part?

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 180
Why did you cut it in half, then put it back together?

I didn't put the two halves back together i meant like tying each half into a ball because of the flat side from when i split them. The pictures are each half of the ball i moved one to my betta tank and kept the other in my 10 gallon.

But if you want to grow more, you don't tie them back together.

Well i just wanted the two separate balls, Should i remove the string on them? I just wanted to make sure that the parts would each grow into a ball and not deformed or end up too elongated. I'm not trying to tie them back into one ball if that's what you mean? I'm confused on what you mean exactly.

But if you want to grow more, you don't tie them back together.

Sorry i see where your confused now because of my first post, i didn't roll the two parts into one, i meant i rolled each part into its own seperate ball.

Well usually when you are splitting one marimo into two, you just cut it in half and leave it be, as it will form into a circle as it grows... But since you formed the cuttings so to say into balls, it should speed up this process.

Well usually when you are splitting one marimo into two, you just cut it in half and leave it be, as it will form into a circle as it grows... But since you formed the cuttings so to say into balls, it should speed up this process.

Okay, Thanks for the advice:) and sorry for the confusion haha

I saw a youtube video and this guy split them in half and injected them with liquid ferts. They became a lush color after a month or so and they healed to become their own little moss ball.

Back
Top Bottom