Sponge filfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I used a active angels plus sponge filter when cycling. My question is do I need to still keep it? It's ugly and I'd like to get rid of it if I can. Pic below.

Attachments

• image-2867888021.jpg
    image-2867888021.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 128
I would take it out and clean/dry it and stick it in the closet just in case you start another tank. That way you can throw it back in and seed it a few weeks before your new build.

I would take it out and clean/dry it and stick it in the closet just in case you start another tank. That way you can throw it back in and seed it a few weeks before your new build.

Ok thanks. I am already trying to convince the wife we will n need a 6 ft (125 gal)!

Thank u both for the answers. That's the reinforcement I needed. I hate the wasted space it takes up and the constant gurgling sound it makes. Gonna put small pump/ circulator in its place to create some current and hopefully prevent all that poop from settling on the sand! Have a bunch or Africans and weekly water changes hardly seem to keep up w it

Take it out and save it if you don't like it. I keep a sponge filter in my tanks in case I need to start up a 10 gallon QT / hospital / grow out.

Sponge filter is probably the best piece of eq in the tank. Did you try to hide it with rocks and /or decor?

The only reason why I am saying this is that as you probably know , all the great bacteria in your tank is in the sponge it might disrupt your levels in your tank I don't want that to happen. Can you take a pic of it so I can see?

I kind of did. But it always is visible from some angle. It's bulky. Maybe ill just leave it
I understand what sicmalawi is saying and he is right to be cautious but if your hobs are fully cycled then i would take that eye sore out. From the pic posted, it looks like a pretty tank. You don't need that beast spoiling it. You'll be grand without it.....

I understand what sicmalawi is saying and he is right to be cautious but if your hobs are fully cycled then i would take that eye sore out. From the pic posted, it looks like a pretty tank. You don't need that beast spoiling it. You'll be grand without it.....

They're cycled but I think I will leave it for a couple wks more then remove. Thanks. I just rescaped and it is more of an eyesore for sure now. Posted pics yesterday in another thread. Here's today's after it cleared a bit.

Attachments

• image-1967949148.jpg
    image-1967949148.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 84
There is a saying with sponge filters "set it and forget it" I never clean mine or move it or anything the top filters do not contain a quarter of the bacteria that the sponge filter has. If it were me I would get some swords and fully camo that sponge filter till I could not see it then it would not be a eye sore

There is a saying with sponge filters "set it and forget it" I never clean mine or move it or anything the top filters do not contain a quarter of the bacteria that the sponge filter has. If it were me I would get some swords and fully camo that sponge filter till I could not see it then it would not be a eye sore

Ok you talked me I to it! Ill put a lil work I to it! Thanks

They're cycled but I think I will leave it for a couple wks more then remove. Thanks. I just rescaped and it is more of an eyesore for sure now. Posted pics yesterday in another thread. Here's today's after it cleared a bit.
Sorry if i offended anyone, not intended!!. It just looked big in the first picture, but seeing the whole tank now, it's not that noticeable. Great job on the rescaping. It looks beautiful. Love the blue lights....

Sorry if i offended anyone, not intended!!. It just looked big in the first picture, but seeing the whole tank now, it's not that noticeable. Great job on the rescaping. It looks beautiful. Love the blue lights....

I wasn't offended at all!! Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it

I wasn't offended at all!! Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it
Just a quick question, as i said already, it's beautiful but have you considered painting the back of the tank??. I have done this myself and i love it. IMO a black or dark blue would look stunning on your tank.....

Just a quick question, as i said already, it's beautiful but have you considered painting the back of the tank??. I have done this myself and i love it. IMO a black or dark blue would look stunning on your tank.....

Funny you mention that. The wife was against it but after showing pics she just yesterday gave the thumbs up. Tough thing is its against a wall about 6 inches from it so painting is not an option I'm going to make a paper one or buy a plain one from store

Funny you mention that. The wife was against it but after showing pics she just yesterday gave the thumbs up. Tough thing is its against a wall about 6 inches from it so painting is not an option I'm going to make a paper one or buy a plain one from store
Well this is just my opinion, read it and think about it....
My friend suggested it to me and i was like no way, no chance. Having to 3/4 empty it and move it, not a hope. I was using backgrounds on mine and in my opinion to get the best look from them, you need to attach them with Seaview or equivalent. I had the tank set-up for a few months, after moving house, and i noticed some small bubbles on the background, which grew and grew and eventually the background started to peel. It done my head in, all the hard work internally and externally and a stupid background now ruined the look of it. Anyway, i thought of what my mate said, gave him a buzz and we were doing it that afternoon. The painting bit was the easiest part. I had to 75% empty it and remove the filter pipes, left the fish in there. We then just turned it around, didn't move the stand(mines tight against a wall). We gave it three coats, took about 6hrs, mostly waiting for the paint to dry...
Honestly it's the best thing i EVER done with the tank. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I love it, it makes everything pop out. Look at Convicts, stunning. Your's is very cool, but it would be the icing on the cake!!. I have no regrets at all. It's obviously the thought of actually doing it that's putting you off. After all, you did spend time convincing your wife. Do it before she changes her mind!!!!
Honestly i can't recommend it enough....

Back
Top Bottom