Sponge filter cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duke33

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should I leave the hob's on before i rely solely on the sponge.

yeah, seed is the word I was trying to find. I was hoping it would be sooner. The angels are at it again, and the babies keep disappearing, ...Yeah the hob.

duke33 said:
yeah, seed is the word I was trying to find. I was hoping it would be sooner. The angels are at it again, and the babies keep disappearing, ...Yeah the hob.

Are the angels the only fish in the tank? Is the HOB gobbling them up or are some of you fish snacking on them as well?

they were in the community tank, I finally got them a tall 30g. The other pair are in a 20g. Both pairs laying eggs but I'm afraid the sponges are'nt seeded yet.

duke33 said:
they were in the community tank, I finally got them a tall 30g. The other pair are in a 20g. Both pairs laying eggs but I'm afraid the sponges are'nt seeded yet.

Out of curiosity...are the parents eating the eggs/fry? My dad had a problem with that. He had a pair of angels that every time they spawned they would eat most of the eggs whether the eggs were dead or not. Maybe the parents would pick up the fry as well?

You could put one of the sponges on the intake of the HOB...then it'd seed and prevent fry from being sucked up.

Good idea! Yes I do believe they eat them, what causes that? I put the tank back in a corner where there is no traffic. They have hatched out a few in the comm. tank.

Back
Top Bottom