Sponge filter media Alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRP1501

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone ever tried to use a mattress pad shaped like an egg carton for biological media? Is this possible or is there something in the material preventing this?

I don't know if it is possible but I personally wouldn't try it. sponge filters are pretty cheap and if your really want to make your own there are several ways to do it yourself. Check out the DIY King on youtube he has a video about making your own sponge filter.

The only sponge material I would use are the ones designated for aquatic/livestock use. Anything else and you might risk poisoning your fish because of flame retardants and other chemicals added to the material.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ahhhh!!!

The only sponge material I would use are the ones designated for aquatic/livestock use. Anything else and you might risk poisoning your fish because of flame retardants and other chemicals added to the material.

I never thought about the additives like flame retardants! Thank you very much. It was just a thought anyway. It popped into my head while I was at the store the other day, but I'm glad I asked before doing it!

I know that the egg crate cushion you are referring to is used in pond filters and sometimes sumps. I have some in a pond filter. It is available from some pond supply and aquaculture retailers. I am certain that these are purchased directly from the foam manufacturers and are free of flame retardants, fungicides, and bactericides.

Back
Top Bottom