Sponge Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiFin Army

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, sorry for multiple posts but I have so many questions

1 - I have a 20 gal aqua neat sponge filter which I plan on modifying with an airstone. I have the tetra 20-40 gal air pump with this. Does this mean my sponge filter will filter it as a 40 gal as opposed to the 20 gal capacity of the sponge filter?

2 - I read on the internet the capacity of the sponge filter does not matter, what matters is the pumps capacity. If you have a smaller capacity filter with a higher capacity pump it simply means the sponge will need to be cleaned more often. Am I correct in this assumption?

3 - How do i calculate the cycles per hour on a sponge filter. Usually the hangons say it or are easier to find information on. Is it as simple as if its a 40 gal pump it filter 40 gal / hr?

Thanks again!

First you should get an adjustable valve for your air pump - something like
https://www.amazon.com/Pawfly-Aquarium-Distributor-Splitter-Accessories/dp/B073CST36X
--
I have clue where you read such a thing - you don't want to drive the sponge too fast because you want the flow of water to be slow enough for biological filtration to take place. It will of course do more mechanical filtration (pick up particles in the water) if you drive it faster but it will also create disturbance in the tank due to increase bulbs as well as more noise.
-
I'm not sure such a thing exist for sponges - i never consider such.
-
The density of the sponge (pores per inch - ppi) is important - finer sponge does pick up more particles but need to be cleaned more often.

As mentioned just tee in an adjustable valve (avoid the ones with one way valves built in they make an noise in my experience) then get whichever air pump you want. All you are interested in with a sponge filter is that the bubbles break the surface of the water allowing for superior gas exchange.

Back
Top Bottom