sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am doing a fish in cycle ( due to ...you guessed it - lfs advice) I have 10 fish in a 26 gallon. Had it going for a month now - no fish deaths at all. I've been doing pwc everyday and my ammonia level is around .25 - i'm using seachem prime with every pwc. I have no nitrite or nitrate readings at all yet. My main question is about my filter - I'm using a HOB aqueon carbon filter for a 30g tank. I've read here that carbon isn't the best choice and that sponge is the way to go and will also help with the cycle. Would I need a whole new filter or is it just a different insert? Any other advice on my cycle is welcome too....

I would just take the cartridge out and cut a slit in it and dumb the carbon. That's what I do :) ur filter is fine. U can always add a sponge if u like

Flossie said:
I would just take the cartridge out and cut a slit in it and dumb the carbon. That's what I do :) ur filter is fine. U can always add a sponge if u like

Make sure that u dont rinse the filter cartridge in tap but in you tank water in a bucket... Maybe with ur next water change

So, is the carbon pretty much useless? Unless u need to remove meds from what I've read?

Flossie said:
Make sure that u dont rinse the filter cartridge in tap but in you tank water in a bucket... Maybe with ur next water change

I rinsed it in the tank water in the bucket today

Rinzy said:
I rinsed it in the tank water in the bucket today

It's good to clear out meds and odors and I just read sometimes color in the water...

But yeah u really don't need it... If u leave it in it kinda gets old and I hear it can start putting stuff back into your water... Ewww lol

But yeah u really don't need it... If u leave it in it kinda gets old and I hear it can start putting stuff back into your water... Ewww lol
really? i thought it just became non-activated and was biological filtration if it was in long enough.

alLexX said:
really? i thought it just became non-activated and was biological filtration if it was in long enough.

The cartridge itself definitely does but the little carbon rock pieces... Naaaa

If I've helped u guys can you both add it to my rep? I would appreciate it tanks ;) I'm happy to help...

I treat a tank cycling no different than I'd treat a cycled tank.

add clean water - add fish - feed fish - do water changes

I don't really give much credence to cycling or the so called beneficial bacterial, because they show up sooner or later like clockwork. Just feed your fish like you normally do and keep up on the water changes. The tank will cycle, fish don't really need the bacteria, that is what the water changes are for. I think some rely too much on tank cycling, it's only beneficial if you don't do weekly water changes. Other than that, it's not that important.

plecoking said:
I treat a tank cycling no different than I'd treat a cycled tank.

add clean water - add fish - feed fish - do water changes

I don't really give much credence to cycling or the so called beneficial bacterial, because they show up sooner or later like clockwork. Just feed your fish like you normally do and keep up on the water changes. The tank will cycle, fish don't really need the bacteria, that is what the water changes are for. I think some rely too much on tank cycling, it's only beneficial if you don't do weekly water changes. Other than that, it's not that important.

I believe we've had a discussion before on my guide article. Just to offer a refuting point on this thread as well...the statements you are making are, in my opinion, dangerous to people new to the hobby and the animals in their care. I don't believe there are many members on this site that support the idea that weekly pwc's are all that is necessary to protect the health of your fish while a tank cycles.

One of the most common issues we help people with on this site are ammonia and nitrIte poisoning as well as other secondary ailments of fish due to being in uncycled tanks even when weekly pwc's are part of the routine recommended by many chain stores.

If nothing else, I invite you to review what is likely the most linked article on the site (and written by one of our most respected members) about how to properly deal with a fish-in cycle.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

As I mentioned in our previous conversation, fish-in cycling is an option with enough dedication and commitment to protect your fish during the process...but it concerns me to hear statements eluding to the fact that having a cycled tank is not an important aspect of this hobby.

Last edited:
eco23 said:
I believe we've had a discussion before on my guide article. Just to offer a refuting point on this thread as well...the statements you are making are, in my opinion, dangerous to people new to the hobby and the animals in their care. I don't believe there are many members on this site that support the idea that weekly pwc's are all that is necessary to protect the health of your fish while a tank cycles.

One of the most common issues we help people with on this site are ammonia and nitrIte poisoning as well as other secondary ailments of fish due to being in uncycled tanks even when weekly pwc's are part of the routine recommended by many chain stores.

If nothing else, I invite you to review what is likely the most linked article on the site (and written by one of our most respected members) about how to properly deal with a fish-in cycle.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

As I mentioned in our previous conversation, fish-in cycling is an option with enough dedication and commitment to protect your fish during the process...but it concerns me to hear statements eluding to the fact that having a cycled tank is not an important aspect of this hobby.

I've obviously done it both ways and its best for u and ur fish to cycle first. Less stress on both of you :)

I am doing a fish in cycle ( due to ...you guessed it - lfs advice) I have 10 fish in a 26 gallon. Had it going for a month now - no fish deaths at all. I've been doing pwc everyday and my ammonia level is around .25 - i'm using seachem prime with every pwc. I have no nitrite or nitrate readings at all yet. My main question is about my filter - I'm using a HOB aqueon carbon filter for a 30g tank. I've read here that carbon isn't the best choice and that sponge is the way to go and will also help with the cycle. Would I need a whole new filter or is it just a different insert? Any other advice on my cycle is welcome too....

Sounds like your dedication to keeping your fish healthy is paying off. I'd just leave to filter alone and let your tank cycle. Prime will still allow ammo to show up, but in a non-toxic form that is safer for fish and bacteria can still chew on it. As long as it stays at/below .25ppm, you're fine IMO/E. Carbon isn't going to do any harm and once it has adsorbed all it can, it basically becomes inert and allows bacteria to grow there. Just clean the cart out in used tank water when needed and keep using it till it falls apart and before you have to replace it, put a new one in a couple weeks ahead of time to help seed it with bacteria.

I'm not sure what size Aqueon you have, but once you're cycled you might think about adding a second filter and an Aqua Clear 50 is my best recommendation.

Good luck and keep the faith, it WILL cycle soon enough.

Mr. Limpet said:
Sounds like your dedication to keeping your fish healthy is paying off. I'd just leave to filter alone and let your tank cycle. Prime will still allow ammo to show up, but in a non-toxic form that is safer for fish and bacteria can still chew on it. As long as it stays at/below .25ppm, you're fine IMO/E. Carbon isn't going to do any harm and once it has adsorbed all it can, it basically becomes inert and allows bacteria to grow there. Just clean the cart out in used tank water when needed and keep using it till it falls apart and before you have to replace it, put a new one in a couple weeks ahead of time to help seed it with bacteria.

I'm not sure what size Aqueon you have, but once you're cycled you might think about adding a second filter and an Aqua Clear 50 is my best recommendation.

Good luck and keep the faith, it WILL cycle soon enough.

Someone told me the carbon leached out stuff? Anywho... I've removed carbon from
Tanks I've medicated but other than that if mr limpet says it's ok he knows a lot more than me ;) it is easier to remove it sooner than later in my experience lol but I've had the worst ones haha I still have carbon in some of my newer filters

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

+1

Cycling with fish is tough and a fishless cycle is hands down the recommended process by most everyone that knows what they're doing.

Unfortunately, many newbies like the OP get bad advice starting out and are forced to go thru the long process of almost daily PWC to keep their fish healthy during a fish in cycle. The link posted is the most valuable reference tool on AA IMO/E and the one I use more than any other link when assisting people.

But yeah I'm def not saying anything bad about the op bc heaven knows I've done it before and am currently doing it... Yikes :\

Back
Top Bottom