Sponge Filters for Betta - how to set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PamelaMarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 bettas both in their own 2.5 gallon tank (aqueon 2.5 with minibow filter.

I've noticed that one betta avoids any current from the filter and my other betta gets blown around in his tank- zoom across the tank he goes. I can't imagine this being fun.. over and over.

I'm looking into sponge filters but i'm completely lost as to what i need to do, what i need to get with it?

can i just get a sponge and put it over the spout to slow the flow of water?
do i need more hose, a bubble, air pump?

thanks everyone

Hello Pam...

Sponge filters work just fine. Small tanks will use a single sponge filter. They're inexpensive, maybe 4 or 5 dollars and come fully assembled. Elite has a good one for small tanks. The cost is a few dollars shipped on Amazon. You'll need a length of plastic tubing and a small air pump. Again, these are low cost and you can get them online.

B

thanks!

i just filled my amazon cart. lol

I have elite sponge filter, tetra whisper air pump for up to 10 gallon (good.. better suggestion?) and some standard tubing.

to clarify - i completely remove my old filter and then this set up becomes my filter? correct?

seems to easy... somethings not right lol

I LOVE sponge filters. Especially for bettas. Get a control valve, though. In a 2.5 you won't need the air at full strength unless you have it split a ton. After you switch it out you may have a mini cycle, but there should be enough beneficial bacteria in the tank to make it not too bad of a transition.

Back
Top Bottom