Spot on Dwarf Gourami's head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lols182

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Just this morning I noticed a moderate spot on my Dwarf Gourami's head. I am curious as to whether I should be concerned about this or if he perhaps just took a bump in the night somewhere when it was lights out. This is a rather sudden appearance (to my knowledge) of this sore but I could be wrong. Any suggestions? I am going to attach a photo to this thread to further assist in finding a diagnosis.

--Just in case the photo doesn't work; It's a small dark colored circle with a small white dot. Almost like a bruise with an opening. I know the white may point to fungus, but after reviewing a handful of pictures of various types of fungi, I am not too sure that's what this is.

As well, sorry for the picture quality as I took these with my phone. The other fish swimming around is a Silver Dollar.

Thank you!

Quick edit - I tested water levels this morning. Everything is fine in the tank. Alkalinity was the only thing showing semi-low results (but nothing to raise any kind of alarm).

Attachments

• 2012-07-13_08-33-35_935.jpg
    2012-07-13_08-33-35_935.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 2012-07-13_08-34-23_820.jpg
    2012-07-13_08-34-23_820.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Hi,

I have been recently looking at posts dedicated to gourami illnesses due to my sickly friend. But, it looks like the beginning of Hole in the Head disease. It's a silly name, but it exists and looks extremely painful when left untreated.

If you look into it, and it does end up being HITH, some treatments are:
* Increase frequent water changes.
* Add vitamins to frozen foods.
* Add the addition of flake foods, as they are enriched with vitamins.
* Add greens, either frozen or in leaf form, to the diet.
* Decrease the amount of beef heart as it lacks many critical nutrients.
* Remove activated carbon filtration.

Sorry about your Gourami. Best of luck!

I feed him flake foods currently and haven't fed him any beef hearts.

I am not sure if I am just imagining things or if it actually looks slightly better from yesterday. Not as much of an area covered on his head and the white spot looks smaller. Is there no real viable cure for the disease if he actually has it/gets it? I hate for him to actually have it and go through tons of pain just because I want to try treatments that may not work at all :(

Back
Top Bottom