Spotted Hydra Polyps - Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

Just noticed some super tiny Hydra Polyps in my new FW Fluval Edge. I never heard of them until tonight after doing some research online to figure out what the heck I was looking at in the tank. These guys are so tiny, almost translucent white, and really look like something you'd see in a SW tank but just smaller. Their little tentacles just sway in the current... real bizarre and kinda gross at the same time.

Anyway, I read that those tiny tentacles of theirs have stinking cells and that these pests can multiply if not take steps while their numbers are small. I've also learned that they are particularly harmful to tiny creatures like fry and baby shrimp. I don't have neither in my tank so should I still be worried? I only have some Neon Tetras and a few guppies.

The tank is about a month old now. I'm guessing that these Hydra must have been introduced by some live plants I placed in the tank. So now that they're there, what do I do?

I've read that you can add chemicals to kill them. Others have used small fish that would eat them (eg. sparkling gouramis). Raise the temp to 110F for at least 5 minutes (with fish and snails removed).

I guess my question is, if you had these in your tank... how did you get rid of them? Will they just die off eventually since they're carnivorous and I don't have fry or baby shrimp that they can prey on? I'd hate to have to go through the trouble of removing everything and increasing the temp. Also, I'm worried about adding any type of chemical that can be harmful to the other inhabitants.

It really worries me that the Hydra can sting my fish. I want them gone! Help! LOL

I've been trying to findsome answers and found a few here and there:

--Fish like gouramis eating them, even apple snails;
--Dosing Excel seems to weaken/kill them;
--Raising temp;
--Feeding sparingly and doing water changes;

I agree about not putting chemicas in the tank that could potentially kill your fish/inverts and even your beneficial bacteria.

Here are some of the links I found; maybe start with the simplest thing (feed less and water changes) and move up to more complex methods if the simpler ones don't work?

Aquarium Pest Hydra - How to Combat the Aquarium Pest Hydra
Efficient Hydra Removal - Aquarium Plants
Eliminating Hydra? - Tropical Fish Forums at the Age of Aquariums

Thanks Librarygirl! Have you ever had them in your tank? I do have a bottle of excel, didn't come across that method of killing them. Where did you read that? As for apple snails, that wouldnt work since my tank is planted.

Anybody else have hydra and what method worked for u to get rid of them?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Thanks Librarygirl! Have you ever had them in your tank? I do have a bottle of excel, didn't come across that method of killing them. Where did you read that? As for apple snails, that wouldnt work since my tank is planted.

Anybody else have hydra and what method worked for u to get rid of them?

Ive found two hydra in my tank so far. Mine is planted too. I removed mine physically! I use either a syringe or a airtube to siphon it out! No big deal to have one or two in a planted tank as long as u don't have a massive population of them, u shouldn't worry so much. Don't overfeed and u will be fine!

I'd be careful with the Excel though, I think it can be toxic to fish if used too much. Here are some links that mention killing hydra with excel (I can't find the one I specifically saw before but I'll look again).

Flourish Excel got rid of all my algae - Page 24 - Algae - Aquatic Plant Central
how to rid hydras [Archive] - ShrimpNow !!!
Planaria and Hydra Elimination in Shrimp Tanks - Library - Aquatic Plant Central (dosing with de-wormer)
Killing hydra

If it's only six I'd just take them out and do a good gravel vac, keep up with water changes and don't overfeed and see what happens. I haven't had them yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom