Spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleeperr34

Aquarium Advice Freak
So. Was planning on doing a reef 55. And was at the Lfs yesterday and say a little spotted puffer I just fell in love with. So I just decided to throw away the reef idea with this tank and stick with a fowlr. So here is what I'm worried about. Yesterday when I got home slowly got him used to my tank and put him in. At first he just hid under one of the over hangs and a couple hours then started to swim around a lot more. The guy that sold him to me said to go ahead and feed him that night so I fed him a little of frozen mysis shrimp. (about half a block) he swam around and ate up about all of if. So I get home from work today and went to feed him again and it didn't seem like he tried to eat any of it so I tried putting in a half shell clam. He picked at it a little bit but only like once or twice. Now I have been getting this tank ready for reef for about 4 months now. So there r a couple cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp in the tank. Along with snails and crabs. And I know that puffers will eat all that. So far he has left the shrimp alone. Working on setting up a second tank before he decides they r food. As well as sone mushrooms I have in the tank as well. I have a green spotted and figure 8 in another tank and they r always wanting food. So I'm very worried about him not eating today. Am I just over worried since I just got him and just need to calm down?

Best pic he would let me take of him.

Have two marineland power heads in the tank one on each side a 600 with the propeller end and a 1200 with the small tubed end. Could it be that there is to much curent for him to want to cone out.

I seem him picking at the live rock and even at o e of my turbo snail. But on a bot here and there and then back to just staying in the rock caves in the back.

Also got a half black angel as well. He is swimming all over the tank stopping here and there to pic and nibble at diff stuff. Using my phone for a camera and he won't stop long enough to get a pic of him.

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Attachments

• image-1085520576.jpg
    image-1085520576.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 124
It might take a few days for him to eat good. When I first got my porcupine puffer he would only eat a little bit here and there and only mysis and brine shrimp.now it's been like a month and he eats everything.I had the same thinking you did about the brackish puffers because they ate all the time when I had them and my porcupine didnt at first. I know those cleaner shrimp are expensive dinner so I would remove them asap. The snails are ok because he needs to eat them. I keep nassarius turbos and red leg hermits for him to eat but i usually have to replace them bi weekly. Give him a week to get comfy in his new home that's about how long it took for mine to become a pig. Good luck

Ty. I'll still put mysis in and not bug him and end up stressing him even more. I did notice last night I put a scalap in and my shrimp started eating it and one of my little snails that live in the sand came out to eat it and the puff killed it. So that made me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom